First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Pics
Jessica-- They are eating the tiny slivers of wood chips. Perhaps out of curiousity more than anything else. I hauled myself and the kids to the hardware right at closing time last night after I read your suggestion! (thankfully I made it!!) I saw pegboard, and it was a lot less expensive than the plywood they had. I figured the pegboard would work fine in a sheltered area (not as durable as plywood, but while they are inside it'll work fine)---AND it already had holes drilled! By the time I got home, got the layers locked up in the coop, and my kids put to bed, it was pretty late and the CX babies were all sleeping. I got up at the crack of dawn today to work on the new brooder. DH rolled his eyes, ready for another project that I have good intentions of but lack the skills to do----pi*ses me off, but I'm just learning how to use all the power tools he has, so gotta start somewhere to be able to get good at something, right? Mucho incentive for me to get it done and get it done right. I used the skill saw and cut the peg board in half, giving me two 4 ft long by 2ft high pieces. I then found a 2 foot tall by 2 foot wide piece of 3/4" plywood in the basement to use as a short end and drilled holes along the border. I used a whiteboard from an old high school that we had in the basement to use as the bottom and then took some scrap luon board on the bottom to connect the structure into a rectangle again drilling holes, and then attached hardware cloth to fill up the rest of the space. I put 2x4 pieces to place the waters on, and then another one for them to climb on and play with. The kiddie pool was a big one, but I think it was much too shallow. The chicks seem to really like their new digs!

Things I learned:
1) You and your DH are genius for thinking of the zipties!! AWESOME and easy.
2) The pool seemed to have enough space initially, but it was much too shallow and I should've only used it the first few days, not nearly as long as I did. I will not use it again, for the next batch. I will use the one they're in now, from the start.
3) I bit the bullet, and have left the brooder light off. It's been on this entire time, because they're in my basement and its cooler down there. I've got the overhead light on, but no brooder, and they're all running around like little mad things! While 3/4 of the brood ate, 1/4 would sleep. THen they're rotate. But they're now all climbing around and eating and cheeping. Not acting cold. Again, good advice. I was hedgy about doing it, but it was def the right choice. I'll watch them throughout the day and if they act cold, I'll turn it on a spell, but only leave it on at night time as long as temps remain stable.
4)Biggest one of all, that this is a humbling experience! I'm a registered nurse, so at work I am the best at what I do. I have to be. Lives depend on it, and if I goof up, people could get hurt or die. I can't make mistakes. I'm so new at this chicken thing/baby chicken thing that I'm making mistakes and it is a scary and like I said, humbling experience. Thank you for being my mentor/chicken buddy with this!!

Double Kindness--- Hi! Welcome! I'm new to this CX raising myself, and it was this thread that inspired me/enabled me to give it a go and order my birds. They arrived Aug 7th. I bet you would be fine to find some birds still. I don't know how long it takes to process birds, as I haven't gotten there myself. DH and I are likely going to be the only ones processing our 23 birds the last week of September. It'll be the first time processing birds, but we butcher our own deer and process them ourselves every year. I'm very interested in sustainable and independent living too! You were diagnosed with celiacs? My son has a non-celiac gluten sensitivity, and it was a total process to learn how to cook again (gluten is in everything!). I'm afraid I don't know much about the questions you have, but I do belong to a couple of awesome threads on here that you might want to check out, that are more specific to that stuff:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/752545/homesteaders
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/506813/just-curious-who-else-is-living-super-frugal

* I only used woodchips in the new setup, and NO paper towel. I figured they'll figure out sooner than later that they don't taste good! And the pieces they're eating are tiny and thin, so I'm assuming they'll soften and pass if they do swallow one.

We butchered our final 18 from batch number one today. I edited because we took care of 18 in 3 1/2 hours including clean up. My husband was such as sweetie because it was 100 and something degrees outside. He did the culling, plucking part and then brought them inside where we kinda have air conditioning (wall unit) to let me eviscerate without dying. I am extremely sensitive to the heat and would have really struggled outside.

Can I just say that I must be a really big sap? I went out to make sure the chickens had water right before we began the process. It was hot out! They all ran to me. I have a couple that honk and they did that. I petted them and I suppose said a pitiful goodbye as I walked away with stinging eyes. I couldn't believe the loss I felt. I really cared about these little guys as I raised them by hand from one day old. I nursed some back to health in my chicken hospital (box in the house) and saved lives just to protect my investment and then end them. Wow. What a revelation.

So, once the process began, my 17 year old daughter, stepped in to try and eviscerate her first chicken. If you knew my daughter you would be as stunned as me! She calls me the crazy chicken lady and shows no interest in my chickens. Although she did hold my sweet little Easter Egger chicken once. She likes hair, make up and looking perfect. She butchered 4 of the chickens for me! She was a rock star!!

Anyway, I went like crazy trying to eviscerate as fast as possible to keep up with my husband. They seemed to just keep coming and they did. He was much faster than I was. We eventually got through them. A little funny...my hubby thought that he got through them all and started to clean up. He looked out into the pasture to see the biggest roo we had standing out there looking around like "where'd everybody go"? We had a laugh about it because he skipped out on the first go round a week ago too. I had my hubby reheat the scalder and take care of him too. He was big and looks like a turkey in the pan.

So, after it was all done, I went out to lock up my layers and bantams and take a peak at CX batch #2 that is one week old today. I went out to the now empty chicken tractor to just take it in. They were gone. No more peeps, honks or other sounds, just empty. I feel an extreme loss. When I look into our coolers with 18 beautiful chickens and the 8 in the freezer, I know they sacrificed their short lives for my family. I also know that I raised them with extreme love and their best interest at heart. They were very healthy as their organs were all perfect and I know they were happy every moment until the end. The meaning of their life has been accomplished. What a profound thing to experience!

So, back to the info part and away from the emotional part. Snap out of it. I will let these guys rest a few days and then package them up. I will weigh them after packaging so I don't know yet the final wait or cost per pound. That is to come. Yes, i am still feeling a bit emotional. We will see how I feel tomorrow, but I have 29 more week old CX in the brooder and I can't let this consume me. I will move on because I have to. I chose to raise meat chickens and it is what it is.

@PlaidBattleAxe - When you read this, please don't freak out sweetie. You will have feelings just like me and you will need to focus on the health of your family and the importance of you pushing through this because you raised these chickens to feed your family. That was their purpose and you need to accept that when it comes to the end. I needed to express this for myself and for others that may feel the same thing I did. You have to let these chickens go as they are here for this purpose and it would be harmful for them not to.

A little Vodka at the end of the night is quite helpful.
tongue.png
goodpost.gif
No, it's a GREAT post. Kudos on your success. I am so proud of you.
hugs.gif

I change the bedding in the kiddie pool brooder once a day, putting down paper towels over pine shavings. The little buggers were eating it still, so I figure the towels would offer absorbency and the shavings some cushion. My problem is, and I'm not even sure if it is a problem, but I'm not used to it >>>----------------> the chicks are covered in poop!! They lay in chick piles to sleep and POOP ALL OVER EACH OTHER. And then they go run around the enclosure, come back, and lay in the poop. Their little bellies and undersides look like they're spiked with hair gel....it's poo. Does this happen with yours? I was handling them, and noticed all their chick fluff underneath was like this. I'm tempted to wash them, but I have a feeling it'll just keep happening and it would stress them out too much. I was concerned for health, but I know chickens are poopy creatures, and these guys are beyond prolific. The ACV has really made an enourmous difference with the pasty butt. Only one or two have some poop dried on, but it's below the vent and not obscuring it like it had been. Very happy with that.

I weighed one of the big boys (I may have a few hens thrown in, though I'd ordered straight cockerals... there are a few much smaller than the rest) last night at the official 1 week old point, and he weighed out at 4.95 oz. Have you weighed any of yours yet? I'm liking having this parallel brood raising thing, though you are experienced now and I'm a newbie lol.

I love watching them. They are in the pool, and I've got hardware cloth that rests over the top to keep them in (initially it was to keep our cats out, should one bust his/her way into my basement, but these little guys are Houdinis!). As soon as I take the top off, they try to fly out. They run run run like little feathered dinosaurs and peek up over the top. So funny. I'm going to need a bigger brooder a lot sooner than anticipated. I'd hoped this would make it the 2-3 weeks before I can put them outside, but I think I need to revise. I might just use wire to surround the pool, keeping the circumference the same, but giving it another foot or 2 of height.

Good idea on extra space. I did a semi deep litter on my brooder I kept adding 1 inch a day and changed it once a week. BUT I use fermented feed and that makes the poo disintegrate faster. It might not work for you. How many are there?. You don't need the paper towels past the first 3 days.
Never mind, I just saw your post on the paper towels.

Last edited:
Linda--I want to do FF for these guys. I tried it once before and it molded. I don't know if I wasn't stirring it enough? I am going to get a bucket from the grocery store today (the kind that they have frosting in, etc at the bakery section) and get it brewing so it'll be used Mondayish. I was just going to do the chick starter. Do you add other goodies to yours? Like the seeds? I read the article from TikkTokk and it was awesome. I'd love to know what you do specifically for your CX (please and thank you!!
caf.gif
)

I'm high altitude, so was thinking rangers?? That the high altitude is hard on cornish x? I'm wanting to process before Halloween time, as that is crop-tober for me and a busy time!!

@ plaid I know your feeling. My bf has all these tools, I have projects but being sick in the hospital 3.5 years (& YES gluten is in EVERYTHING! ) and just celebrated over 1 year without a hospital stay!! & had to relearn how to cook/bake/read labels, and came to the conclusion I will be even better if I really control my food sources.

This is for my very life and to not just survive, but to thrive and be happy and know where my food came from. That comes with raising my food. Now though, I have learned many tricks and am back up in my culinary standing lol, and my best friends are executive chefs at top restaurants and always go gaga for my stuff. My chocolate cake is thing of beauty of legend. ;)

I'm really hoping I can find meaties. Otherwise I will snatch up the dominiques for $12 each ready for processing, but then I feel like I'm missing out on the whole point. Gotta fill my frrezers.

Plaid: ff is easy... I put it in like home depot buckets (I think it's gonna work well for you, from how much these guys are eating). I fill the bucket 1/3 full of feed, add hot/warm water, put lid on, put in pretty warm spot for 2-3 days, and start another bucket the 2nd day, that way you go through what they eat ff wise before it gets bad, and have another percolating, when first bucket empty, do it again.

Plaid - Look at you! You are a ROCK STAR! These guys grow so fast and poop so much that it is way better to just start them out in a bigger area to avoid the extra work and problems. Now that you have shut off the heat lamp, they are more comfortable. They are running around more instead of being hot, lethargic and laying in their poo. You should notice they will be cleaner. I don't think the tiny pieces of wood chips will harm them. Mine do it too and they are fine. As long as they are eating food and not just wood, they should be fine. If you watch your laying chickens much, they seem to eat the weirdest things.

My DH is a race car driver. Zip ties are his savior. He uses them for absolutely everything! We have regular ones for general use and huge ones for emergency use! Kinda like duct tape. Lol!

Now, the next question: What is your plan for housing for when you move them outside? I can't remember if you said previously. By the end of next week you and they will be more than ready for the move.

@ Double Kindness: Welcome to the thread. I'm glad you found us too! Yes, you must add meaties! They are such fiun and the meat is wonderful!! Plus it feels so good to raise your own. With all of the other animals you raise, you just must add meat chickens! I get mine from a hatchery about an hour from me. They specialize in meat chicks and turkeys. You may contact them through their website: http://www.jenkshatchery.com They are a small family owned hatchery. When you contact them, you receive an answer from the family and when you go there, the same person hands you your adorable chicks. I love family own and operated businesses!! Anyway, I pay $1.35 for CX, but it looks like they sell Red Rangers for $2.45 in that quantity. They ship too. I would be surprised if a local feed store would still be carrying meat chicks as this is a slower time of year for it. It's worth a check. Also do a google search to find hatcheries near you. I'm not familiar with other hatcheries. I am just thoroughly happy with the one I use.

I hope you read through this (surprisingly long) thread to glean as much info as you can from us. Feel free to ask any questions too. We will do our best to answer!

Edit to Add: With 5 people to process, you should be quick. With an automatic plucker, the thing that takes the longest is evisceration, in my opinion. My husband and I did 18 in 3 1/2 hours. With 5 people you could possibly do all of yours in that amount of time.

Last edited:
Wow ok! I'm also in a high altitude area, which was my interest in rangers vs cornish x.

I will call up ferwieler (sp?) They're local. Just went to hang with my laying flock and roo. . Funny how they all come running up to me. I love them so!

Linda--I want to do FF for these guys. I tried it once before and it molded. I don't know if I wasn't stirring it enough? I am going to get a bucket from the grocery store today (the kind that they have frosting in, etc at the bakery section) and get it brewing so it'll be used Mondayish. I was just going to do the chick starter. Do you add other goodies to yours? Like the seeds? I read the article from TikkTokk and it was awesome. I'd love to know what you do specifically for your CX (please and thank you!!
caf.gif
)

Nothing yet. I just have regular chickens. White rock, Golden Comets etc. until Sept. Don't forget the grit. Construction sand will do then small grit. You can add some to your bucket. They grow so fast that after the first couple of weeks on starter I'd add BOSS and scratch. Azomite rock dust adds over 70 something trace minerals. Great for the garden and chicks. 2-3 T per 5 gallon bucket. I fill mine 3/4 way full. I'm in the south so I get rice bran 12% protein. Just keep adding feed to 2 gallons water and stir until tick oatmeal. Cover with a towel or lid loosely and stir daily for 4 days. It will sometimes have a white layer on top. That's the good stuff. Stir it in daily. I like to use scratch because it has seeds, oats, milo and cracket corn. Some has wheat. But adding 2 scoops of starter, 2 scoops of scratch, 1/2 scoop BOSS and sometimes 1 scoop of Gamebird feed. It's 26% and bumps up the protein that it looses in the scratch and rice bran. I'd love to add oats to it , about 20% of the mix, but it takes days and days to soften up enough to eat. I ferment it separately in just water and acv. Adding water for 5 days as it soaks up. I made a bunch 25# of triple washed oats and it pretty much doubled or tripled. It stinks but the chickens like it and it's good for them. If your mix molds, don't dump it, just hollar.
tongue2.gif
My method is exactly like tikktocs.

Back
Top Bottom