First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JessicaThistle, Jun 10, 2014.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Nothing brightens the day like Piano playing chickens.

2. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I love the piano playing roosters! I wonder if they were crowing at any point too...

Ralph- I like what you have there! I can imagine your book will keep me rolling on the floor.
    I hope the lady comes back for some over priced chicken [​IMG] just kidding on the over priced part. I was trying to figure how much I would charge, and came to a similar number.
    My neighbor asked how much it would be... she was a bit shocked. Sorry lady, I too must recover my processing related booze costs.

1 person likes this.
  3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I feel the same way, either pay it or not, do not whine. cry and try to cajole me down. Besides have you seen what good chickens cost in the stores!

You know how sometimes you are so focused on something you do not see the entire picture. Well, that happened when Rick died I thought my chances for CX/Dixie rainbow crosses died too. DUH..

Today Bert took his girls for a walk, the other flock was there. I happen to notice one of my Dixie Rainbow hens was standing next to Bert. I have a couple of them. They are good sized and could hold Bert's weight for the 4 seconds it would take him to do his thing. I am going to put the 2 CX pullets, 3 Dixie crosses and Bert into a pen together! I will have my crosses!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    We got a broody!!!!!! she went broody on the same day our turkeys started laying, so she has two turkey eggs and two duck eggs. And how in the heck do you candle a turkey egg, it is near impossible.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I found last year a really bright light in a real dark room and do not try to see too much, be happy if you see a vein.

6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Thanks.

Have your turkeys started to lay yet???

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Not yet, they have not even allowed the toms to mate with them yet.

I doubt they will for another 6-8 weeks. BUT if this warm weather continues it could be sooner. I am hoping not as I need to get fences built and we have too much frost to get a hole dug, even with my bobcat and digger. I am going to be separating out the hens soon, so I can make sure they are not laying.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Until they poop on the key board.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I have found in my vast experience, this is when most bartenders cut you off.

10. JessicaThistle

JessicaThistle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    Oregon
    If you look to the right under the red rooster, I think that's too late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by