First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Bubra-I assume you are in a warm climate? In case it helps you decide what to do, our lows are about 60 (darn cold front), and they're in the garage which is fairly well insulated so I'm guessing keeps them around 70. I'm impressed with them though; they're still all fuzzy for the most part and I remember keeping a heat lamp on my RSL and leghorns for approximately 5 1/2 years
lol.png

Ralphie, thanks for the welcome! I've been reading through this whole thread so I feel like I've been creeping on you and your past...my husband knows you as "that guy in Minnesota
gig.gif

And thanks for the concern y'all; my chicks have grit
smile.png

I'll check out the article by the amazing chicken god author
wink.png
quick question though since you addressed it; do you start withholding food from the beginning? I am currently giving them a set amount in the am, which I started with the thought of "once it's gone, it's gone," but they really aren't eating much during the day--is it better if I feed them twice daily, pulling out whatever they don't eat after a while?

What I do and we all do it differently, I give them 2 days of as much as they can eat of high protein. Then I go to twice a day feedings. 15-20 minutes is all. By 14 days I have them free ranging, I only feed them at night then to get them back in the cage. they have to run too because they know dinner only lasts 20 minutes. By 4-5 weeks they will be 200 feet or more out chasing bugs. Never feed them breakfast if you want them to catch bugs and free range. They are like teenagers. if you let them lie around for an hour in the morning, they will lie around all day long!

Thanks for the info! Great article and pictures! Took the chicks feed away when I turned the heat lamp off this morning. I'm in TX so the lows this time of year are 50s-low 60s at night.

Outdoor time in what will eventually be their coop!! It's supposed to rain all next week so they will be back in the brooder when the nasty weather hits.

Back
Top Bottom