First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Pics
Ralphie---Great idea! I think I may have to adopt it for next time. I used elbow grease and my 14 birds tired out my arms. If only I had Popeye and his forearms at my disposal .

Linda--- I am sorry about your eggs! Hopefully they are just fashionably late?

Jessica--- I was initially okay with letting them go to 9 weeks (a mixture of me wanting them to have as many nice sunny days outside before freezer camp, and a mixture of prolonging the inevitable)-----DH had been called in to work the whole weekend, and that put the cabash on my initial plan to process on the 28th at 8 wks old. What happened is I had a very bad experience killing one (I figured if I could do 5 a day, I could still get it done on my own without DH that weekend), it didn't die instantly, and I pleaded my case to DH, so it was agreed that he would kill them and I would process them. That Tuesday, it was cold but sunny, and I heard two of them wheezing. I knew that even though they (most of them) were doing great, they were likely having things going on inside that I couldn't see until they were symptomatic, and that was not fair for me to prolong it. DH came home from work at 5 (he was on day 14 with no day off), and I asked him if he would please help me (I went to the beer distributor and bought a case of lemon shandy in anticipation of what was to come). My wonderful DH, as tired and crusty as he was, helped me and we processed 5 of them. The next day we did the remaining 9 again after he got home at 5. The two wheezing ones had fluid on their hearts. Two more had fluid, but were asymptomatic prior to dispatch (I'm sure it was only time before they too began wheezing).
It hurt my heart because they didn't fear me. I would catch them and deliver them to their death. BUT I knew it had to be done. DH and I would pet them and talk to them and calm them before he ended them, so they weren't afraid. I fed them right before hand too, even though I know everyeone says NOT to. But they were SO hungry, and it was their dinner time, that I didn't have the heart to dispatch them on an empty stomach. I did NOT have poop issues while processing, btw. I then spent the evening coming to terms with what I had just participated in, over a few beers.
It had rained heavily the day prior to processing, and they were muddy and crusty from running around in the mud, so rather than pluck them, we skinned them. It saved a lot of time. I soaked them for a day in a brine, and then froze them. Doing it in two batches helped.
When Thurs am rolled around and it was time for me to send the last 9 off to freezer camp.... MY POWER WENT OUT. The whole dang house. I ran to the breaker box and couldn't get it reset. As fast as I could (it took an hour) I bagged them up and put them in my chest freezer (it was just purchased from craigslist Monday, so wasn't full of ice crust to help tide it over in the power outage, and I was so afraid of losing my meat!). I had to supplement with ice to insure they'd get cold enough. Turns out a power company employee ran into a pole and tripped the whole country stretch of power. Eventually it came back on, and I stopped stock piling ice lol.
Lesson learned----can not prolong the inevitable. It would be doing them a disservice just to spare my own hesitations. It got easier for me the second day of processing, after I had an evening to mull things over.
Looking forward already to getting another batch of CX this spring. It was sad dissembling their tractor. BUT it was the denouement to a really neat chapter in my new chicken-keeping life. Couldn't have done it without you and everyone on here!

Thanks for sharing, Plaid! I am glad that it went well (even though sad) and that you didn't lose any meat! That would have been terrible!

I am handing off the killing to my brother, but I will help with everything else. I had a bad experience with trying to kill one myself too! That's definitely the worst part about keeping meaties! A couple of days ago, I had one that wouldn't eat in the morning and was acting super lethargic. I brought him inside and saw that his crop was huge (more huge than normal even) and extremely hard to the point that he could barely even breathe. I tried massaging it and tried making him throw up, but nothing was helping. It was even packed all the way up his throat and he was passing out from lack of oxygen. I didn't think it would clear and he was miserable, so I decided to just suck it up and end it for him. I have never killed one before, so it was pretty horrible. Once he was gone, I was fine doing the other steps. Even though he was little, I went ahead and processed him like normal so I could get some experience. When I looked at his crop/throat area, it was completely stuffed with mud. It has been raining for three days and everything is muddy. He obviously ate a bunch of it. I have no idea why. The only thing I can think was there may have been some food crumbles on the ground and he ate a bunch of mud trying to get to them. I was really worried about the others after that, but it's been three days and things have dried out considerably and nobody else had any problems. After it was over with and I sat back reflecting on it, I couldn't believe I even had gone through with it. I am definitely dreading "chop day" but I know this is their purpose and it has to happen. I just pray I don't have to do another one by myself!

I found one earlier that I was sure had broken her leg because it was bent weird and she was just laying on the ground not moving. When I got close to her and she noticed me, she popped up and ran over completely fine! I realized she had just been in a dust bath stupor. I felt pretty stupid but very relieved that she was ok! Oh, the things you learn when you've never had chickens before!

Mine are 10 weeks old. I think this is the week. Some of them would have been gone now if not for bad weather and bad luck on my part.

I so badly want to keep them longer, they all look healthy. I have no wheezing yet. However, I did excite one the other day and I worried about it as it sat and appeared out of breath, Breathing real hard.

I also have my DP's and others to send to camp this week. With luck I will have around 70 chickens less next weekend. BUT that is subject to change as I am scheduled for a colonoscopy on Friday, which could interfere with normal life on Thursday.

On Saturday, after my encounter with the overly large garden hose, I have friends and relatives coming over to help repair a roof. Which takes from the Chicken Camp time, however, we are planning to eat the largest CX on Saturday. He should be well over 10 pounds, Just right for roasting!

Ralphie - Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you just use that brush for the final clean-out after evisceration or do you use it to actually do the eviscerating?

Welcome to the thread Tracy! Can you explain why you stopped raising Cornish X? What method do you use? Do you free range? We are a curious bunch here!

Linda - Hopefully you get some piping soon. I would imagine that is a real disappointment. That's one of the reasons I'm just not sure about the incubating eggs thing. Of course I do have 17 chickens + the CX hen we are going to keep for research purposes. I probably don't technically need more. We already had to build a silkie house and run and will need to add a wing to the coop for the 7 chicks when they integrate. Chicken math got me and I'm afraid it won't stop. I just LOVE chickens!

Plaid: I think I saw that you had freezer camp day. Share your experience, please!! How did it go? How did you do going through it?

My freezer camp day is here now too. We have 24 to do and my plan is to do half on Sunday and half on Monday. This is to not overwork my husband too much since he just had hernia surgery on Tuesday. He is up and around and plans to go to work tomorrow too. I don't want him to work and then be faced with too many chickens to handle. Knowing him he'll try to do them all. Unfortunately, my back, arms and hands can't handle the evisceration of 24 birds. Stupid fibromyalgia. I push through but hurt so bad. I guess we will see.
I don't know if it will help your pain but Beekissed suggested Castor Oil a couple of times a day rubbed into my knees. It actually works for me. Still some pain but not that burning ache when I come back in from the outside

Jessica, This is a handy little device to help with the cleaning of the inside of the cavity. I wish I could take credit for inventing it. I cannot, my wife brought this idea home from a work mate who has chickens also.

It really does a good job and is way easier on the hands.....

Ralph, that's the funniest thing ever. I wonder how good it works. If you try it let us know. We might all be doing it.
lau.gif

Ralph: Great idea but how much do you wear afterwards? I can see me covered with chicken lungs by the end of the night.

Plaid: Sounds like your experiences are like mine. Just everything seems to go crazy. At least beer or vodka helps in the end.
wink.png
I'm glad that you got through it and yes, it is hard. I am not excited for today, but then I am at the same time. I am tired. Busiest work time of year + 42 chickens to take care of along with everything else = exhaustion. Having 3 roos tucked away in pens adds extra work that I really don't need either. I will miss these guys. They are a spunky friendly bunch. I also had a bad experience dispatching a 3 week old sick chick. It was a horrible experience for me and I will leave the dispatching to my husband for now.

Does the fact that you are a nurse make it harder for you, Plaid? I was a nurse's assistant for 10 years and when you spend your life caring for people the thought of killing something was difficult for me. Plus I get so darned attached no matter how hard I try not to.

We picked up an awesome table that I am going to use for evisceration! It is plastic with a small sink that you hook a hose up to. I am hoping it makes my life much easier than tearing everything off the kitchen counter and sanitizing everything over and over. Excited to try it out!

Lisa: I can't count the times that I have seen dust bath stupor and ran to check it out. I feel stupid every time too but I can't help it. I am on high alert when it comes to my chickens.

Linda: Castor oil huh? That is an interesting idea. I have to research that and learn about that! Thanks!

Ralphie---Great idea! I think I may have to adopt it for next time. I used elbow grease and my 14 birds tired out my arms. If only I had Popeye and his forearms at my disposal .

Linda--- I am sorry about your eggs! Hopefully they are just fashionably late?

Jessica--- I was initially okay with letting them go to 9 weeks (a mixture of me wanting them to have as many nice sunny days outside before freezer camp, and a mixture of prolonging the inevitable)-----DH had been called in to work the whole weekend, and that put the cabash on my initial plan to process on the 28th at 8 wks old. What happened is I had a very bad experience killing one (I figured if I could do 5 a day, I could still get it done on my own without DH that weekend), it didn't die instantly, and I pleaded my case to DH, so it was agreed that he would kill them and I would process them. That Tuesday, it was cold but sunny, and I heard two of them wheezing. I knew that even though they (most of them) were doing great, they were likely having things going on inside that I couldn't see until they were symptomatic, and that was not fair for me to prolong it. DH came home from work at 5 (he was on day 14 with no day off), and I asked him if he would please help me (I went to the beer distributor and bought a case of lemon shandy in anticipation of what was to come). My wonderful DH, as tired and crusty as he was, helped me and we processed 5 of them. The next day we did the remaining 9 again after he got home at 5. The two wheezing ones had fluid on their hearts. Two more had fluid, but were asymptomatic prior to dispatch (I'm sure it was only time before they too began wheezing).
It hurt my heart because they didn't fear me. I would catch them and deliver them to their death. BUT I knew it had to be done. DH and I would pet them and talk to them and calm them before he ended them, so they weren't afraid. I fed them right before hand too, even though I know everyeone says NOT to. But they were SO hungry, and it was their dinner time, that I didn't have the heart to dispatch them on an empty stomach. I did NOT have poop issues while processing, btw. I then spent the evening coming to terms with what I had just participated in, over a few beers.
It had rained heavily the day prior to processing, and they were muddy and crusty from running around in the mud, so rather than pluck them, we skinned them. It saved a lot of time. I soaked them for a day in a brine, and then froze them. Doing it in two batches helped.
When Thurs am rolled around and it was time for me to send the last 9 off to freezer camp.... MY POWER WENT OUT. The whole dang house. I ran to the breaker box and couldn't get it reset. As fast as I could (it took an hour) I bagged them up and put them in my chest freezer (it was just purchased from craigslist Monday, so wasn't full of ice crust to help tide it over in the power outage, and I was so afraid of losing my meat!). I had to supplement with ice to insure they'd get cold enough. Turns out a power company employee ran into a pole and tripped the whole country stretch of power. Eventually it came back on, and I stopped stock piling ice lol.
Lesson learned----can not prolong the inevitable. It would be doing them a disservice just to spare my own hesitations. It got easier for me the second day of processing, after I had an evening to mull things over.
Looking forward already to getting another batch of CX this spring. It was sad dissembling their tractor. BUT it was the denouement to a really neat chapter in my new chicken-keeping life. Couldn't have done it without you and everyone on here!
Good job!!!!
thumbsup.gif
You got it done and that's what's important. Thanks to hubby. Nothing wrong with feeding them a little before processing after you have fasted them overnight. It allows you to grab the crop a little easier. A lot of people use the ice chest with ice and a little water the whole 3 days that you are resting them. Keeps them out of your way.
For the empteenth time, our water went out again last night. Clint has to go out to fix it. I've been harping on saving up some gallons of water and nobody wants to bother so I'm gonna do it and put in my storeroom. Use to flush and stuff. My fellow coming to build the coop today is a little late and I'm on pins and needles. But excited. Sorry, never any pips on the eggs. Tomorrow I'll crack and see if any formed.

Back
Top Bottom