First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

She is adorable! And too funny about JJ and Ernie. Maybe Ernie was just getting a little too cocky for his own good.

Here are a couple photos of Clyde, the Easter nest abandoner.

Happy Easter!

Last edited:
Love all the chick pics! I am realizing that my chicks aren't exactly chicks anymore. They will be 7 weeks old this week. It's amazing how fast they grow.

Ralph: I love that your DW is converting. On the food conversion question, all of mine male or female, also ran to the trough at feeding time, ate it all, laid down for a bit and then took off running to free range. While the males were of course heavier dressed, I couldn't tell you really which one had a better conversion.

Holm: I don't have any updated tractor pics at the moment. My hubby has been putting all of his time into the construction of the nest boxes so the tractor itself still looks like the last pic. BUT, when the nesting box is done, I am going to post a video showing how it will work. It is awesome!!

MM: Clyde is adorable!!

So now I have 4 darn broodies. Sheesh, spring is in the air!! My two silkies are still broody of course. My Barred EE is just about broke in the broody pen now and my crabby BO moved into it with her yesterday. Good grief! I want EGGS, NOT BABIES!

Welcome to the thread, fellow Oregonian!!  It sounds like you are off to a super start with your CX.  It is funny how fast they grow in comparison with your other chicks, isnt' it?  
Hey neighbor! It looks you're just a little bit north of me. We're in Cottage Grove.

It is funny how fast they grow. The CX are as big, or bigger than, the 6 week old chicks raised by a broody. The older chicks boss them around of course.

Hey neighbor! It looks you're just a little bit north of me. We're in Cottage Grove.

It is funny how fast they grow. The CX are as big, or bigger than, the 6 week old chicks raised by a broody. The older chicks boss them around of course.
Yep, you are darn close! I took a pic of my chicks each week to document their growth. It was really cool to compare each week. All chicks grow super fast, but CX are amazing!

I lost the creamette today. I had to go to my daughters in Duluth for Easter and when we got back she was dead..

Hopefully, my next Creamette eggs will do better. 2 weeks from tomorrow.

On the "oh too cool" side.... look at my Title!! I always wanted to be a "Chicken Wrangler".... Now I need a good trained Chicken roping donkey and I can help Jessica on the chicken drive.

On the bright side Princess Di is doing great. She is still wearing her crown.

She is adorable! And too funny about JJ and Ernie. Maybe Ernie was just getting a little too cocky for his own good.

Here are a couple photos of Clyde, the Easter nest abandoner.

Happy Easter!

I think these pictures are so cute...

IT is like she is saying "what are these suppose to be"

and then the next picture " alright, I will sit on them, but I won't like it".

Sorry about the creamette! I am happy to hear Princess Dianna is doing well!

I believe that is exactly what Clyde said with her growling. She is hilarious. Yesterday we had Cricket outside in Clyde's broody pen that she abandoned. She was pretty curious about the baby in there. I thought, "hmm, maybe she will think she hatched it and mother her..." No.
She ran in, quickly flapped and growled at Cricket and made a ruckus about her being near the food. Sigh. Maybe Clyde is not my best option for mothering.

The feed store has not had silkies this year. Only polish and cochins. I am a bit upset. I would totally get another one or two...

I am going to knock down the dividers in the nest boxes today. The silly girls still fight over the same box. It takes them all day to lay because someone will be in there, be run off before she lays by another bird who wants to be there, and back and forth.

Speaking of Princess Di, here she is standing next to an admirer.

Notice she still has her crown.. These pictures were taken during human/chick playtime today.... Which occurs just before human/alcohol interaction hour.

MM I lost all my eggs day before hatch I must have forgot to post that on here. It was sad cuz the babies were fully developed and ready to go!! Glad ur broody took those eggs.

Sorry about that $100000 chick Ralph.

Hope u all had a good Easter!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom