First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Nice job on the processing, BTW. Good weights for the grow out period. Did you just raise the five this year or will you be doing more soon?

I hope your broody gets back into condition soon, Morrigan. I've heard to give them chick starter for a while to help facilitate that. Seems to be working with my little silkie, but she wasn't as far gone as your girl.

We just did the 5 as a trial. Planning on 25 for fall. It was our first time and unintentional. They were free from tsc. We bought their last 4 Asian blues a week after easter and they asked us if we would take these 5 white rocks was how they were labeled. I thought they were Plymouth rocks. Lol.

Last edited:
We just did the 5 as a trial. Planning on 25 for fall. It was our first time and unintentional. They were free from tsc. We bought their last 4 Asian blues a week after easter and they asked us if we would take these 5 white rocks was how they were labeled. I thought they were Plymouth rocks. Lol.

That's what happened to us at TSC. We thought Plymouth White Rocks. Then when we called about them thay said they were Leghorns. But got big way too fast. Holm25 is the one who finally cleared that up for us. Now I know if I go back for egg layers White Rocks are not the right ones. Thanks. We are going to get more meat birds in the fall as well. But We can only have 20 birds at any one time. City ordinance actually Said no poultry. But we turned our coop into a learning center for Down Syndrome, Autism and other special needs children in the area. And they let us keep them. My oldest son has Autism and Wendy's son has Down Syndrome. That's Why we got the chicks in the first place. As therapy. It worked. My son takes great care of them and has bonded with them and Wendy's Son (only 4) can't talk yet but has started to mimic the sounds of the Ducks, chickens and even the dog's and cats. We are hoping this is the first steps to language.

Last edited:
That's what happened to us at TSC. We thought Plymouth White Rocks. Then when we called about them thay said they were Leghorns. But got big way too fast. Holm25 is the one who finally cleared that up for us. Now I know if I go back for egg layers White Rocks are not the right ones. Thanks. We are going to get more meat birds in the fall as well. But We can only have 20 birds at any one time. City ordinance actually Said no poultry. But we turned our coop into a learning center for Down Syndrome, Autism and other special needs children in the area. And they let us keep them. My oldest son has Autism and Wendy's son has Down Syndrome. That's Why we got the chicks in the first place. As therapy. It worked. My son takes great care of them and has bonded with them and Wendy's Son (only 4) can't talk yet but has started to mimic the sounds of the Ducks, chickens and even the dog's and cats. We are hoping this is the first steps to language.

Awe, what a great story. I welled up a little. Autism and downs syndrome are very challenging and it is wonderful, that you have been able to find a therapeutic means to help the children. We are fortunate that we live in the woods in the country and nobody really has any say with what we do on our property. Good luck with processing your meaties.

That's beautiful. My kids all made animal noises before speaking, so it sounds very promising & wishing you all the best. And the empathy all kids develop when spending time with animals is priceless.

We started with the Ducks about 18 months ago. The kids that built their enclosure are all teens from my son's autism therapy group at the local children's hospital. The kids from both groups have been coming over 1 day a week to play with and learn to care for them for 18 months. Wendy won her right to keep the birds this spring and the city set the limits and some rules. Just simple things like having a sink outside to wass their hands. How many birds we can have. And supervision of the children. Having learning materials on site like posters about the animals and duck and chicken anatomy. Stuff like that. And of course they can pop up any time to make sure we are staying within the rules.That's when we decided to add the chickens. The kids cleared the land and built the enclosure(with our help) they are finishing up the chicken coop now. They are making it look like a barn. I will post pics when they are done. I think it helps all the kids disabled or not with so many aspects of social development and we have been learning so much as well. And having a great time doing it.

Last edited:
We started with the Ducks about 18 months ago. The kids that built their enclosure are all teens from my son's autism therapy group at the local children's hospital. The kids from both groups have been coming over 1 day a week to play with and learn to care for them for 18 months. Wendy won her right to keep the birds this spring and the city set the limits and some rules. Just simple things like having a sink outside to wass their hands. How many birds we can have. And supervision of the children. Having learning materials on site like posters about the animals and duck and chicken anatomy. Stuff like that. And of course they can pop up any time to make sure we are staying within the rules.That's when we decided to add the chickens. The kids cleared the land and built the enclosure(with our help) they are finishing up the chicken coop now. They are making it look like a barn. I will post pics when they are done. I think it helps all the kids disabled or not with so many aspects of social development and we have been learning so much as well. And having a great time doing it.

So cool and you are so right.

If city fathers ( and Mothers) spend less time worrying about people having animals in city limits, they would not have to spend so much time trying to handle youth problems.

An Animal is a life lesson to a kid. It teaches them how to care for something, it gives them a chance to love something and have that love returned unconditionally.

It teaches kids about life and death. It teaches them death is real and final not something from a TV show or Movie where the actor gets up and makes another movie. It teaches kids their actions or lack of actions has consequences on others.

I believe if there were more chickens in the inner cities there would be less crime. But hey, I am an old farm kid what do I know.

So cool and you are so right.

If city fathers ( and Mothers) spend less time worrying about people having animals in city limits, they would not have to spend so much time trying to handle youth problems.

An Animal is a life lesson to a kid. It teaches them how to care for something, it gives them a chance to love something and have that love returned unconditionally.

It teaches kids about life and death. It teaches them death is real and final not something from a TV show or Movie where the actor gets up and makes another movie.  It teaches kids their actions or lack of actions has consequences on others.

I believe if there were more chickens in the inner cities there would be less crime.   But hey, I am an old farm kid what do I know.
I live on a farm in central Missouri as a child. The first time I realised we raised our own food was about 4 yrs old when I had befriended a Turkey chick named Henry. He became Thanksgiving dinner later that yr. We lived on the farm until my mom married a soldier. We immediately moved to a suburb of Tokyo Japan. Culture shock. Then moved to St. Louis. After living in Therese big city's I turned into a city kid and all the trouble teens can get into in a heavily populated area and virtually no supervision. At 16 they sent me back to the farm. To save me from myself I'm sure. I didn't appreciate at the time. My grand father immediately put me to work. So I hated it. But he thought me a lot. As soon as I thought I was grown I ran off to the big city. Turned right back into a street kid as soon as I got there. Got in so much trouble in the 7 years I was gone. I only came to my senses when I was pregnant with my first son. Never went back to the farm but found a nice quit place in the south to raise my kids. I've learned a lot from both worlds but was one of the lucky ones. Allot of them know nothing else. And I can see the benefits of having the birds happening right be for my eyes. I'm so glad awe did this.

Back
Top Bottom