First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

I was talking to a CL breeder friend who also lives in Texas, and she thinks that the over big and floppy combs can develop in CLs if it's really really hot during their chick-hood/teen-hood comb development. (It can be a problem for Texas folks especially for the cockerels, in whom the floppy big combs are more of a problem for those who show, apparently). The other two pullets I have (which are also "more correct", for whatever that's worth) have smaller combs, though also a bit floppy - Paula's is totally out of control!!!! But then again, she's never been one for following rules. She actually tried to crow at 5 weeks.
lol.png

- Ant Farm

LOL..

My hens hardly have any comb and some have just the crest. But hot is not a normal problem here, for more than a day or two.

I kind of avoid the CL threads, It gets pretty picky for a breed that as of now, Does not have a SOP. ( Or does it have one now?) I know a lot of them get upset over calling them the right name. I...not so much.. I call mine creamettes and Creamers.

I have 3 Creamers left, and I have 11 creamettes. BUT one of them is moving to the barnyard birds pen before egg laying/gathering for hatching time. She looks like a funny looking EE instead of a creamette. It will break her heart as she grew up with and has never left the other creamettes..

I told a friend, I should not have said I did not think it was a CL. it made me feel like a breed snob! I hate to be thought of as a fraud. BTW I did share your picture cause it is just so darn good,

LOL..

My hens hardly have any comb and some have just the crest. But hot is not a normal problem here, for more than a day or two.

I kind of avoid the CL threads, It gets pretty picky for a breed that as of now, Does not have a SOP. ( Or does it have one now?) I know a lot of them get upset over calling them the right name. I...not so much.. I call mine creamettes and Creamers.

I have 3 Creamers left, and I have 11 creamettes. BUT one of them is moving to the barnyard birds pen before egg laying/gathering for hatching time. She looks like a funny looking EE instead of a creamette. It will break her heart as she grew up with and has never left the other creamettes..

I told a friend, I should not have said I did not think it was a CL. it made me feel like a breed snob! I hate to be thought of as a fraud. BTW I did share your picture cause it is just so darn good,
100+F for quite a while here, so maybe that's why they have more combs than yours (though it could be the line as well). Interesting that there's a difference...

Yeah - what irritates me is the pickiness over subtleties of coloring while not giving enough attention to auto sexing, which was the entire purpose of the breed development. Paula had non-perfect auto sexing, so she won't be bred, even just for my backyard - the others will.

No worries - for all you knew, I was misled by someone who misrepresented a chick or hatching eggs as CL, and you were letting me know...
big_smile.png

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
So tomorrow is the day to process the first 6 or 7 of my meaties. They are 9 1/2 weeks and some of the roosters are getting a bit aggressive and they are more crowded then I like them to be in their shed at night. I should be used to it by now, but it still remains a heartbreaking task for me. I really do get attached to them.

Last edited:
Morrigan I feel your pain. My slow grows have another 6 weeks. I've tried to stay a little on the detached side. It hasn't worked. They are SUPER FRIENDLY!!!Aaaaaaarrrrrgggg

Last edited:
To make things worse they all came down with a respiratory illness,treating with tetracycline. It's impossible Not to get emotionally attached to sick animals that you take care of. I've even started telling one of the roosters I might keep him around. I've resisted naming him so far. But it's. Hard

Back
Top Bottom