First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Oh I forgot to mention I live in Indiana where it gets in the negatives I'll post pictures tomorrow

At 8 weeks old they can withstand anything. As long as they have water. The tendency, from experience is to over feed them to make up for the cold. DO NOT DO THIS. They are little heat generators.

Mine live outside in a "box" with a tractor attached, I free range them during the day when I am home. They cuddle in the extreme cold and do fine. I have not even had one lose a comb. BTW your cold is a nice spring day for me.

That should be fine for them, but I don't see much in the way of ventilation.. maybe my eyes are missing it?

10 cx meaties in the fridge resting. I'll do more tomorrow, but I don't have any more room for anymore chickens in the fridge.

Plus I have a young muscovy drake being mean that needs to go to freezer camp along with my narragansett pullet.

I just had my indoor runner ducklings Ziggy and Phoebe outside integrating them into the flock.

Jane *one of my CL** & Adeline are sick in the kitchen. Adeline is sneezing and Jane is far too lightweight and not looking well. They have had tylan injections for 2 days now. I'm probably going to do a 5 day course.

Time to feed the meat rabbit does and then try for a little nap.. or a hot magnesium salt bath with lavender essential oil.

Tonight is leftover roasted backyard white bresse rooster. Very tasty, better tasting than the cx meaties, but take much longer to grow out.

I'm glad I have made the cx meaties get lots of exercise because this time their legs and thighs are huge!!

I have 20 more waddling around the backyard and another 15 of the other meat roosters to feed us over the winter. 

That should be fine for them, but I don't see much in the way of ventilation.. maybe my eyes are missing it?

10 cx meaties in the fridge resting. I'll do more tomorrow, but I don't have any more room for anymore chickens in the fridge.

Plus I have a young muscovy drake being mean that needs to go to freezer camp along with my narragansett pullet.

I just had my indoor runner ducklings Ziggy and Phoebe outside integrating them into the flock.

Jane *one of my CL** & Adeline are sick in the kitchen. Adeline is sneezing and Jane is far too lightweight and not looking well. They have had tylan injections for 2 days now. I'm probably going to do a 5 day course.

Time to feed the meat rabbit does and then try for a little nap.. or a hot magnesium salt bath with lavender essential oil.

Tonight is leftover roasted backyard white bresse rooster. Very tasty, better tasting than the cx meaties, but take much longer to grow out.

I'm glad I have made the cx meaties get lots of exercise because this time their legs and thighs are huge!!

I have 20 more waddling around the backyard and another 15 of the other meat roosters to feed us over the winter. 

There's an about 1/2 inch gap on one side of the door and the other side is completely open

)k came back.
was in the chicken pen. He won't be back again. Suprised me how much it bothered me to take him out. I didn't. have a choice though,I CAN'T afford anymore losses.

Last edited:
Tis the season. MAJOR hawk pressure escalated over the past four days - one was swooping down as I was about to walk out the door. I was on edge all day, but when I got back, no losses (I had already festooned the paddocks with tons of surveyor tape). I just used another 800 feet of it - just in case. This will just have to do for now, until I can get something more permanent and less BRIGHT) set up. Heaven knows me being out there with them isn't a deterrent. Fortunately I've got a good Cockerel who sounds the alarm for the whole yard as well.

- Ant Farm

@dpenning they are protected. I have rehabilitated quite a few over the years. When it comes to protecting livestock,I'm covered.better safe than sorry ehhh?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom