First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Well, super irritating. I typed for about 15 minutes last night updating you all on everything that has been going on and it didn't post.

I only have 12 more cx meaties waddling around. I have a small 3-4 lb little one cut in half in the oven with elephant garlic, oranges, rosemary for dinner with roasted sweet potstoes and sweet peppers.

My extra muscovy drake is in the freezer. Freezer camp could have been today, but we got a bit of snow after a pretty warm week.

Next week the 12 cx broiler meat chickens plus my narragansett pullet will be chilling in the fridge.

I only have 12 more cx meaties waddling around. I have a small 3-4 lb little one cut in half in the oven with elephant garlic, oranges, rosemary for dinner with roasted sweet potstoes and sweet peppers.

My extra muscovy drake is in the freezer. Freezer camp could have been today, but we got a bit of snow after a pretty warm week.

Next week the 12 cx broiler meat chickens plus my narragansett pullet will be chilling in the fridge.

Are you feeling better?

My first harvest will be next weekend - here's hoping it's relatively uneventful.
fl.gif

- Ant Farm

For anyone considering the Welp Slow Grow Cornish.
This was after 12 weeks.
IMO a total waste of time and feed.
They have the appetite of the CX,but the growth and weight are more consistent IMO of a good heritage meat breed

My broilers dressed out better at 8 weeks old :) I'm so busy processing the chickens to take pictures :)

My chicken lady friend said she can help me again on Tuesday to get the rest of the cx broiler meaties into the fridge along with the mean narragansett pullet. I'm pretty sure she's been picking on my white bresse rooster.

I'm still not well. st least I'm not in the hospital.

My broilers dressed out better at 8 weeks old :) I'm so busy processing the chickens to take pictures :)

My chicken lady friend said she can help me again on Tuesday to get the rest of the cx broiler meaties into the fridge along with the mean narragansett pullet. I'm pretty sure she's been picking on my white bresse rooster.

I'm still not well. st least I'm not in the hospital.

It's good your ok my meaties are nine weeks and I have no idea how to tell you if they are doing ok or not lol they are heavier and bigger then my three month old Dominique's and just heavier then my brahmas but not as tall

Those slow broilers don't sounds very economical, JR. Thanks for sharing your experience with them. At 11 weeks, my CX ranged from 5.5 to 7.75 lbs.

We still have 8 of our meat chickens left that will be 13 weeks old in a couple of days. These are going to be turned into sausage, so we decided to let them go longer as they looked healthy. They have stopped eating as much and I think they are about as big as they are going to get, so we've penciled in Tues or Wed, weather cooperating, to process. I'm thinking these are going to be between 7 and 9 pounds each. They probably have a lot of extra fat on them, but that will actually be good for sausage making. I'm going to miss them though. Both of the remaining roosters are crowing.

Morrigan,I chalked it up to experience.
I did hold back some hens for eggs. They And the remaining cockrel will be replaced with more economical layers as soon as possible. I spared one male solely because of his tail feathers.lol
They look like the Cornish.lol
Hoping to get REAL CX sometimes in January,

Back
Top Bottom