First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Jr what was their weight?

My last batch of all hens at 13 weeks averaged 8.5 pounds!..

Yours seem to have big legs but the breasts look small. am I right?

I cannot see why anyone would get anything other than CX's for broilers, raise them slow and large and the meat is unbeatable. I have a 12 pounder from last year in the freezer, (vacuum packed) I am going to smoke for christmas. I love my smoked chickens!

Ralph they averaged out 3-1/2to a couple 5 lbs. The camera angle made the drumsticks look large. The.breasts were long on the keel but not very meaty. As for why,they advertise they are JUST a few weeks behind the CX. More like a few years. I was very disappointed.
they do however TASTE GOOD

Last edited:
That's a learning experience I won't repeat. The good reviews I've seen on here are either planted,or come from people who have NEVER saw a real CX.I don't. politic. They ARE NOT WORTH THE FEED.

That's a learning experience I won't repeat. The good reviews I've seen on here are either planted,or come from people who have NEVER saw a real CX.I don't. politic. They ARE NOT WORTH THE FEED.

Most likely written by the same people that tell us Cream Legbar are great layers of large size eggs extremely docile and friendly birds......

I have 13 of the stupid things. None of the above statements are true. I even mark the calendar on the rare days they give me eggs. They are short for this world. If they were not so scawnny they would be in the freezer already.

Most likely written by the same people that tell us Cream Legbar are great layers of large size eggs extremely docile and friendly birds......

I have 13 of the stupid things. None of the above statements are true. I even mark the calendar on the rare days they give me eggs. They are short for this world. If they were not so scawnny they would be in the freezer already.

My cream legbars lay 6-7 eggs per week each. Likely a difference in strains or environment. I've heard that different strains can have vastly different production values....

I bet people who support the slow growing broilers are folks that don't like raising CXs and don't know the tricks discussed here for raising them (restricted feed, ranging, etc.)

- Ant Farm

Gah! So my chicken lady friend that has been helping me send off meaties to freezer camp can't come tomorrow to help me send off the rest of the fatties to freezer camp.

They look ok. Only 1 has crooked toes right now.. snd since my freezer is full of chicken and duck already I don't feel the pressing need to process, si I will try to let them go longer.

I got mine on Oct 1st making them 10 weeks old? They can hang out a few more weeks if their little hearts can take it. Mine have range over my backyard but mostly hang out near the back door in case I come out with FOOD. Lol

The extra roosters they sent with my cx meaties are doing pretty good for just being 10 weeks old. They look on track to process st 16 weeks old. I think I have maybe 17 or 18 of those.

My cream legbars lay 6-7 eggs per week each. Likely a difference in strains or environment. I've heard that different strains can have vastly different production values....

I bet people who support the slow growing broilers are folks that don't like raising CXs and don't know the tricks discussed here for raising them (restricted feed, ranging, etc.)

- Ant Farm

That was my thought as well. Before I got my CX -- and found this thread -- I read so many articles talking about these huge, disgusting CX birds dropping over dead at 7 weeks old.

- Ant Farm 

It could be my short days and cooler weather that slows them down. Plus the older hens are stressed having moved into the breeding pens. When they were free ranging this summer I had no idea when or who laid.

I love my Creamettes, because they are such eye candy, but mine are semi feral because I do not handle them much or at all.

Back
Top Bottom