First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

I can't wait for the remaining broilers (Slow grow) to hit the laying stage. I'm really looking forward to some crosses to the Dark Cornish. I'm hoping for the hybrid vigor to make an appearance. I'd like a 6 lb bird in 12 weeks. I was talking to my 71year old dad today about the chickens. He tried frying the broilers I carried to him. They proved too tuff.The breast meat was tender but the legs and thighs were the consistency of rubber. He remembered (too late) that when he was a kid,yard birds were always used for dumplings,gumbo and soups. He also recalled his grandfather penning surplus males in small cages to restrict their movement and prevent them becoming "tuff"Sounded a lot like battery cages to me. Not a practice I would use. I really enjoy listening to my dad recall childhood events.

Last edited:
My dad grew up on a poor farm with 8 brothers and sisters.Back then meat on the table was what you raised or hunted.They tilled the land traded with neighbors for most of what they had. A hard life,but to my way of thinking a better life. Pop thinks I'm crazy.lol
he likes his store bought groceries.

Last edited:
Store bought is easier.
Just finished processing my 4 Cornish Cross.
It went well in my limited opinion. I expected much more blood. I need to get bolder and learn to just pull the guts out, we also need sharper knives, and a higher table (I agree a fish cleaning station would be ideal.) But as a whole I think it went great.

Store bought is easier.
Just finished processing my 4 Cornish Cross.
It went well in my limited opinion. I expected much more blood. I need to get bolder and learn to just pull the guts out, we also need sharper knives, and a higher table (I agree a fish cleaning station would be ideal.) But as a whole I think it went great.

Congrats - it's tough the first time (from my recent experience). You don't just want to yank the guts out, you may rupture the intestines and contaminate the carcass - it's likely better to take your time (esp. as you learn what things feel like). Four is a good number to do the first time. Suggest getting some disposable scalpels from the feed store - that is sharpest and best, IMHO. And yes, the fish cleaning station was great for me. (Also very easy to clean/sanitize.) Got from Amazon - not cheap, but very worth it for me.

Make sure to rest them!

- Ant Farm

Thank you! Yes I didn't plan on getting them, but I am really glad I did. This way we found the kinks and can work them out before I get larger numbers. I truely might look at Amazon and think about the table. DH talked to a woman who sold them, free-range chicken, and he got a serious case of chicken math. If we go as big as he is dreaming, I will need it.
They are very fatty. I think I will skin them and trim some of that off, ick.

Thank you! Yes I didn't plan on getting them, but I am really glad I did. This way we found the kinks and can work them out before I get larger numbers. I truely might look at Amazon and think about the table. DH talked to a woman who sold them, free-range chicken, and he got a serious case of chicken math. If we go as big as he is dreaming, I will need it.

Oh, don't do that! Rest, then roast in a scalding hot stainless steel skillet at 450 for about 25 minutes, then turn of oven and let it coast to doneness temp (164F breast meat). Skin crisps up nice, all fat drips to pan and when cool, can be poured off and refrigerated. Liquid gold! (Esp. for broiling potatoes.)

- Ant Farm

Do not skin them or trim the fat!!!

When you roast them the skin will turn a nce golden brown rip it off then, or eat it! it holds the flavor in and the fat is the flavor. When you roast them if you are worried about too much fat, roast on a wire rack or cut an onion or two 1/2 inch thick lay on the bottom and put the chicken on it to hold it out of the fat.

The gravy from that juice after the fat is kind of skimmed is so good!!

You will not like store bought again. Both you and hubby will be glad you did your own.

Oh, don't do that! Rest, then roast in a scalding hot stainless steel skillet at 450 for about 25 minutes, then turn of oven and let it coast to doneness temp (164F breast meat). Skin crisps up nice, all fat drips to pan and when cool, can be poured off and refrigerated. Liquid gold! (Esp. for broiling potatoes.)

- Ant Farm

Oops O should have read this before replying to her....duh

Crispy, roasted chicken skin is just about one of the most delicious things ever. It beats out bacon for me. When my husband BBQ a chicken, I almost ask for the chicken back first -- which he thinks is well and truly bizarre. But a back is basically all crispy skin. Not the best thing in the world for you, I'll grant you. But every once in a while it's a treat.

Back
Top Bottom