First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Here are a couple pictures of two of them. I put my hand in for comparison. keep in mind that they are about 6-7 weeks old.

From my experience with my local TSC (and knowing some of the kids that work there)They "mess up" on a regular basis. "YOU" really need to be able to identify the different breeds as chicks if you are going to do business with them. If one of the tubs gets too messy,they just throw them into another one with other chicks while they clean it out.When I bought my Cx I had to point them out to the young lady. Poor lighting and over crowding resulted in me bringing home one red sex link.I never even saw her grab it.I spotted it as soon as i opened the box.My point is,as Ralph said they are CLUELESS.And I don't mean that in a mean way.It's their part time or temporary job and OUR passion.

Last edited:
My primary goal is getting a sustainable Cx,so I can eliminate outside suppliers.The chickens that do not contribute to this goal are still able to supply eggs or go to freezer camp.
1f604.png

I have a batch of CX that will be going into tractor. I don't have time to do the 2 feedings per day at 20 minutes. Others say let them eat for 12 hours with unlimited feed. Is this best method or should I leave a calculated amount to get them thru half day then throw little feed in that evening? There are approximately 12hrs a day I can't tend to them....

I feed them once in am I leave the feed trough in the pen and go to work. I get home let them out for an hour or so and use the feed to get them back inside the pen. I feed what they can eat in an hour. Just leave it there and pull it an hour latter in the evening.

I just got three eggs from the nest boxes,two from scx a 1.9oz and mammoth 2.8oz the other was tiny im thinking one of the saipan pullets is starting to lay. Of course since i just started the second incubator they all went into it!! I know I'm supposed to steer clear of eggs outside the norms. But the huge egg was too tempting

Back
Top Bottom