1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First show, need advice

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by just2rosey, Sep 23, 2011.

1. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    My daughter has her first show on Oct 15, and we are really excited It is a 4-H show and she will be taking one Partridge Cochin Bantam, one Partridge Silkie and one Black Ameraucana and one Blue Ameraucana, most are pullets, the silkie is the only roo ( if we sexed it right, its still not crowing). Any advice on how to prep the birds would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Bathe all your feathered birds 7-10 days prior to the show to allow time for natural oils to get back into the feathers.
    keep cooped in small area with heavy litter such as pine shavings after bathing, For cochins blow dry well they take a day or two to fluff back up.
    Handle all the birds daily for the same period.
    Trim Toe nails, file back to a point, trim beak if needed.
    Clean face and combs fully. and daily
    Re-clean legs and feet daily.

After bathing apply some vaseline to teh legs of clean legged birds to loosen any old leg scales so they will come off easily.

The day after bathing you can apply Show sheen or "Pink" oil hairspray, to a smooth fine woven cloth then wipe the bird with the cloth. This will help with feather sheen and help keep anything from adhering to the the feathers. makes coop in clean up easier.

1-Q-tips (To apply Head Dressing and clean under or around comb)
    2-Toe nail clippers
    3-Head Dressing (1/2 olive oil, 1/4-witch hazel, 1/4 alcohol)
    4-Revlon Finsheen Hairspray ( Apply to rag and not directly on bird)
    5-Cleaning Cloth (Teflon Coated Gun Cloth) (Rag I use to dust the bird off and what I spray the hair spray on.)
    6-Wash Cloth ( For Cleaning Feathers, Head, Feet.)
    7-Small Bucket ( I put water in this bucket for my wash cloth)
    8-Baby Wipes (For a quick cleaning if needed, get the ones with alcohol they dry faster. But be carefull using these on the face. Will burn them on occasion)
    9-Lighter ( To cauterize bloody toe nail)
    10-1/2 gallon of water ( Better than hunting were the faucet is at the show)
    11-Feed
    12-Plastic Bathroom Cups (Some clubs do not buy new ones, they buy paper ones or they do not fit properly in the cage)
    13- Clear Plastic dividers. incase of birds fighting through the cages

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Bathe all your feathered birds

What about the non-feathered ones?​

4. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    silkies should be washed one or 2 days befor show and blow dried

5. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    Quote:What about the non-feathered ones?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Very Funny, I thought the same thing!!

Sjarvis,

Thanks for all the info! just a couple of questions. What is head dressing, is that for the combs? What is the hairspray for? Is it a feather/coat conditioner?

6. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Ohhhh, I just hit the print button ! Awesome info. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by