First snow falling

Rick M

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 21, 2018
Southwest Missouri
We are in south western Missouri and just wondering if others who receive snow fall, have issues with their birds not wanting to be out in the snow. It is only an inch or so on the ground but the ladies dont wantt o go out in it much at all. This is our first full year with chickens. They are all laying and full size barred rock and red sex links. I have a large area of the run that has a large trampoline blocking above for predator protection and it blocks the snow. The run is on the wind blocked side sitting south of the out building/coop.

From winter snow tales here on BYC over the years and my own experience, I'd say most chickens hate the snow. I think much of their negative attitude comes from snow being so starkly white and it's hard for most chickens to blend in and they feel very exposed to predators. In fact, on New Year's Day many years back, a red-tail hawk killed a hen that was outside on the snow.

I had one cockerel that hated the snow so much he tried to fly over it instead of trying to plow through it. He ended up headfirst stuck in a snow drift and I had to pull him out. It's still one of the funniest experiences I've had with my chickens.

From winter snow tales here on BYC over the years and my own experience, I'd say most chickens hate the snow. I think much of their negative attitude comes from snow being so starkly white and it's hard for most chickens to blend in and they feel very exposed to predators. In fact, on New Year's Day many years back, a red-tail hawk killed a hen that was outside on the snow.

I had one cockerel that hated the snow so much he tried to fly over it instead of trying to plow through it. He ended up headfirst stuck in a snow drift and I had to pull him out. It's still one of the funniest experiences I've had with my chickens.
:gig That is pretty funny. I think it’s hilarious trying to see a chicken run through this now. Mine don’t mind the snow one bit. They are not out as much as they would on a nice spring or fall day but they won’t hesitate to walk right out into it. I even had one of my fluff The snow around and made a nest in late and egg in it. Right there in the middle of the yard. LOL. Crazies

They adjust. That being said, I do sometimes clear a bit of a path to the food and water. Once they venture out they seem to realize the snow isn't going to kill them and will hang out for awhile. I did shovel a two foot drift out of their run last week, but if it's just a few inches they have to deal with it.

They adjust. That being said, I do sometimes clear a bit of a path to the food and water. Once they venture out they seem to realize the snow isn't going to kill them and will hang out for awhile. I did shovel a two foot drift out of their run last week, but if it's just a few inches they have to deal with it.
Their food and two waters are inside coop, only one big water bowl is outside. They are out in run but not much away from trampoline where the snow is about an inch deep.

With about 65 chickens they get brave enough once one chicken goes out. They don’t really like snow but they will do anything for food. My one roo will go in the snow then about 30 of my chickens will then follow

So true. It takes one brave chicken to start a chain reaction. I know which chicken will be the first one outside every time! Eventually the others follow.

Back
Top Bottom