First soft/no shell eggs

the main reasons for shelless eggs are not enough calcium or for some reason a kink happened and it passed through to fast, those are known as oops or fart eggs. but pubic bones are a good indicator as well as the combs turn brighter red it is rare for them to be starting to lay but in rare occurrences there is an issue and the pelvic bone doesn't open like it should. Remember your ones already laying haven't been laying long, you may see hiccups for around a month once they start laying, just keep an eye on them as internal laying and egg bound could also be found
The RIR's were laying steady regular eggs every day or two since we got them about a month ago, and it seems like it has slowed down recently. We had given ACV but my boyfriend read that can cause issues with calcium absorption in the heat so we stopped. Maybe it is because of that?

That's a possibility ... You could keep them on what you're feeding now, just making sure they have Oyster Shells free choice. Were these "eggs" a first time or regular? New layers do have hiccups at times, it this becomes a regular issue, then you have a problem.

the main reasons for shelless eggs are not enough calcium or for some reason a kink happened and it passed through to fast, those are known as oops or fart eggs
No.....
Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with new or older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

That's a possibility ... You could keep them on what you're feeding now, just making sure they have Oyster Shells free choice. Were these "eggs" a first time or regular? New layers do have hiccups at times, it this becomes a regular issue, then you have a problem.
This is the first time we've gotten eggs like these, but they were from one of our regular layers. They are still fairly young, somewhere between 6 and 8 months old.

'New' layers have been laying for a month or so, IMO....
....things should have smoothed out by then.
That's what I was thinking. They did have mites, one had stick tight fleas, and at least one or two had round worm. We treated them all for the mites with a spray, then again with a powder, and we just treated for round worms, and will retreat in a few days. I am hoping that will straighten things out again. We are not giving ACV until it cools back down, which will be a few months.

That's what I was thinking. They did have mites, one had stick tight fleas, and at least one or two had round worm. We treated them all for the mites with a spray, then again with a powder, and we just treated for round worms, and will retreat in a few days. I am hoping that will straighten things out again. We are not giving ACV until it cools back down, which will be a few months.
What products did you use for mites, fleas, and worms?
What kind of mites?
No reason ever to give ACV ;)

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-26_19-25-15.png

What products did you use for mites, fleas, and worms?
What kind of mites?
No reason ever to give ACV ;)

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1889796

I'm sorry for not replying earlier, but I started my last semester of college the same week I posted this. We also lost the Brahma and Goldie the Golden Laced Wyandotte that week, I think from the combination of the worms, mites and heat since it was over 100 for a few weeks. We have a fan and an evaporative cooler out there for them, but it's just so hot. I uploaded a picture of the products we used for mites and fleas as well as worms. I don't know what kind of mites the were, but they were light colored. My boyfriend also sprayed the yard with Permethrin. That seems to have taken care of the fleas. I am in Austin, TX. I am 99% certain the worms were round worms.

Attachments

• ChickenMites.jpg
    ChickenMites.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom