First spring clean out

Slaphappy

Chirping
Dec 30, 2018
Chicago Illinois
With all this going on it seems I have some time on my hands. First spring clean is on deck.

I have three options to clean with.

Bleach
Disenfectent which says uses eucelyptus and kills bacteria and staph
Vinegar

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

PS we had bumblefoot

I assume you're talking about the coop? Is it wood? I don't use any liquids if I can avoid it (obviously spraying for mites or treating mold, things like that, are exceptions). I just rake out old bedding and put in new and replace nest materials.

Bumblefoot is a staph infection but it doesn't randomly spread around. It gets in through cuts or punctures in the foot. So no need to specifically treat for it. To minimize you want to make sure you don't have sharp objects on the ground the birds could be injuring their feet on, and to round off any sharp edges on the roosts.

I assume you're talking about the coop? Is it wood? I don't use any liquids if I can avoid it (obviously spraying for mites or treating mold, things like that, are exceptions). I just rake out old bedding and put in new and replace nest materials.

Bumblefoot is a staph infection but it doesn't randomly spread around. It gets in through cuts or punctures in the foot. So no need to specifically treat for it. To minimize you want to make sure you don't have sharp objects on the ground the birds could be injuring their feet on, and to round off any sharp edges on the roosts.
My whole coop is painted with exterior paint on the inside. Tough stuff. I have a poop board underneath the roost bar. I may have to go around looking for splinters and such.

Yup check for anything like splinters, random bits of wire sticking out from a fence, sharp rocks. Since I use wood chips as litter it's expected that I'll see cases of bumblefoot here and there.

My whole coop is painted with exterior paint on the inside.
Even with good paint....no need for liquid cleaners.
I don't use any liquids if I can avoid it (obviously spraying for mites or treating mold, things like that, are exceptions). I just rake out old bedding and put in new and replace nest materials.
Ditto Dat!

Back
Top Bottom