First Spring w/ Ducks & Chickens

Currently we have 4 females, one Muscovy, one Mallard (we originally had two but one got taken by a hawk), and two Welsh Harlequin’s. I would like to get a couple more ducks, preferably another Muscovy or two..a mallard, and maybe another different breed. 4 more ducks to the flock, but my husband likes the flock how it is and is unsure if he wants to make it larger. No serious injuries, my mallard had something wrong with her nose, I guess a bruise. People were thinking she flew into something, which may have happened when she was fleeing from our drake (but that’s outside of the enclosure when they’re free ranging) They all seem fine after it happens they just don’t initially want it to happen and run away and he catches & holds them down.
Do you have a kiddie pool for them to breed in?

No sense getting rid of him if you can make him a separate area to give the girls a rest. Your so right they go nutty when they come into breeding age and many on here have what’s called drake jail @onaharley @DuckyDonna and others. I may since I have 2 crazy Runner drakes now. Just do what you can to keep your females safe from over breeding .

No sense getting rid of him if you can make him a separate area to give the girls a rest. Your so right they go nutty when they come into breeding age and many on here have what’s called drake jail @onaharley @DuckyDonna and others. I may since I have 2 crazy Runner drakes now. Just do what you can to keep your females safe from over breeding .

What are signs that they are being over breed? They all seem okay, but I definitely want to make him a separate area if he becomes an issue with spring on the way.

Mine mate without water our spring is frozen right now so no pool. They seem to do okay with out it but I’m sure the girls would prefer it. Signs are missing feather down to skin, skin with redness or wounds. Eyes goopy from the drake grabbing her around the eyes ( this isn’t real common) limping, hiding out.

Mine mate without water our spring is frozen right now so no pool. They seem to do okay with out it but I’m sure the girls would prefer it. Signs are missing feather down to skin, skin with redness or wounds. Eyes goopy from the drake grabbing her around the eyes ( this isn’t real common) limping, hiding out.
Alright. Thank you. I’ll be sure to keep an eye out. I don’t think he’s too bad right now, I just don’t like seeing it. He definitely pecks at his Muscovy girlfriend faces all the time when he’s trying to mate with her.

Back
Top Bottom