First things first, the chicken or the egg

Chickengene

Songster
Feb 21, 2019
East TN
Not sure I know all I understand about chickens and eggs. Been tolt by prepper/off grid folks that an unwashed fresh egg will last for months in the fridge.
But tolt by cooks that a fully cooked hard boiled egg is only good for a week in the fridge. Sounds counterintuitive.
And a cracked hardbolld egg should be peeled for immediate use.
Ok. I'm done thinking out loud.
Can I feed my 3week old chicks crushed eggshells? Or crushed whole hardbohard- eggs? I have not started giving them any grit yet. Was wondering if egg shells might be considered grit?

Shells are not grit. Use size 1 grit for chicks and size 3 for chickens. The shell is calcium and they don’t need that until they start laying. They need grit to eat hard boiled egg
K. Good to know. I purchased some "chick grit" yesterday, will start feeding it today. Any time lapse before I can start adding small amounts of chopped up fruit, veggies and greens?

I had a few sliced grapes and banana slices leftover in my wife's lunch box, so I chopped a bit smaller and dropped them into the brooder. Didn't last long. But I just wanted to be sure that wasn't a bad ideal.
Third small brood, first time loosing any babies, so I have become a bit anxious to get it right now.

Back
Top Bottom