first time 3 choices of chicks to pick from, please help.

draaronr

Hatching
12 Years
Nov 22, 2007
two primary reasons for the birds, first is pets, second reason is for eggs. I want to get 5 total. I have everything set up and local feed store has 3 choices, so please help me decide. I live in South Eastern NC so the winters are mild. I have an acre for them to free range on during the day time and will be locked up at night. Here are my choices Black Sex links, Americanas, Buff Orpingtons. Please help on this, I would like to go and pick them up this week.

Why don't you get one of each. They are all good breeds, my sex links lay large brown eggs and so do the BO's and the Americanas will give you pretty colored eggs.

Oops I see you are getting 5, mix them up.

Last edited:
I have Buff Orpingtons, they are quiet, sweet and total lap chickens. Nothing cuter then a fluffy orpington butt bent over eating bugs. They produce the nicest light brown eggs too.
These guys follow me all around the yard like I'm some kind of hero...lol. gotta love that.

You really can't go wrong with any of your choices though, they are all nice birds, so maybe mix them up a bit and get a couple of each.

Good luck and have fun.

Quote:
I like this plan myself though I might go 2 sex linked, 2 BOs because I think they're so pretty and 1 Americauna myself.
Edited to say, no I wouldn't, I'd get two of each, who'm I kidding??

Last edited:
I'd get 2 BO, 2 Ameraucana (be aware they almost certainly mean 'easter eggers' i.e. lay colored eggs but do not meet breed standard otherwise) and 1 BSL.

(I'd do the singleton of the BSL, rather than the other breeds, because the BSL will lay real well for a few years but may 'retire' earlier, and because the odds are good that 2 EE's will lay different color eggs from each other and likely look a bit different from each other too, which would give diversity to the flock)

If you're only getting 5 I don't think it really matters too much, though, just mix n match
smile.png

Happy chick-shopping,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom