First time broody hatch

Rocking Bars

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2021
Hello,

This is our first time with a broody hen (I normally incubate and raise chicks in a brooder). So, she did just ok, 2 hatched yesterday and seem ok, one pipped and never hatched and one hatched and was dead under her.

I cleared out as much yucky stuff as I could without disturbing mom and babies but she isn’t leaving the nest box to show them around. They are inside a dedicated coop just for brooding so they are separate/protected from the flock.

The nest box is not big enough to put food and water in so I have that just outside the box.

How long is it ok to wait before intervening? I don’t want the chicks to dehydrate.

chicks are okay for 72 hours. mom will get up and take care of them. just keep an eye on them
Thank you! Mom has them out and about today. She has them out of the coop and into the small run now, showing them how to peck at bugs. I put some of their starter feed and water out there too. I am wondering how she is going to get them up the ramp and back into the coop tonight.

Should I come up with a box for them out there just in case? will I need to assist her getting them back inside?

the run is fully enclosed and covered

Thank you! Mom has them out and about today. She has them out of the coop and into the small run now, showing them how to peck at bugs. I put some of their starter feed and water out there too. I am wondering how she is going to get them up the ramp and back into the coop tonight.

Should I come up with a box for them out there just in case? will I need to assist her getting them back inside?

the run is fully enclosed and covered
pics of the ramp?

pics of the ramp?
9527FDE0-EAF7-400B-9939-EB18DEFE4CD4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom