First Time Broody Mom

GreatGranny

Songster
Mar 2, 2017
North Alabama
Our White Orpington hen (Betty) went broody for the first time at 8 months old. So we decided to let her sit on 5 eggs because this was a first for us as well, and with only one roo and 24 hens the chance of fertilized eggs was slim to none.

We did not interfere hardly at all except to move her to our new "Broody Coop" on the back porch. She hatched one egg and is a great mom but little "Fuggly" ,as we all call him, is growing in leaps and bounds! He is 5 weeks old and has a prominent comb, getting waddles and is quite feathered! Is this normal for a little roo? His comb came in at 3 weeks and as you can see in the pic, it starts as a doubled comb at the top of his head and then turns into a single line!

I say it's a roo because of his comb, waddles and pointed tail feathers! Also, his dad is a Polish and mom is an Easter Egger! Yes, the only egg to hatch was a bright blue "Easter Egg"!
1119181159.jpg

Capture4.JPG

1119181159e.jpg

Last edited:
Roo coop! I have some I’m selling, want any?
Sorry, we are raising and giving ours away to neighbors! I have 4 Polish roos in with 24 hens! They work beautifully together, and we have not had the first hint of violence! They all crow and move around the hens without fear and are very protective of the brood! But not aggressive to us at all! We are introducing the breed to our neighbors so we are raising pure Polish roos for them! I guess you could say, it is a work in progress! :)

Sorry, we are raising and giving ours away to neighbors! I have 4 Polish roos in with 24 hens! They work beautifully together, and we have not had the first hint of violence! They all crow and move around the hens without fear and are very protective of the brood! But not aggressive to us at all! We are introducing the breed to our neighbors so we are raising pure Polish roos for them! I guess you could say, it is a work in progress! :)
Amazing!

Back
Top Bottom