First time broody playing musical nesting boxes.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Featherland, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I have a hen that has been broody for a week. I got some fertile eggs I put under her this morning. She got out of the nesting box to eat and another got in to lay an egg. She just went to a different box. I put her back in. This is her favorite nesting box. Later I go put there and she is in a different box so we put her back again. She is still there now and definitely broody. The question is why is she changing boxes and what should I do to make sure she is in the right one? I have been going out there and collecting eggs often.

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    try quarantining her from the others where this only one nest box, wait till it gets dark and carry her and the nest box to a cage where she can sit in peace away from the others. good luck

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    It isnt only first time broodys that do that! Most broody hens will do that on occasion. I have about 15 oegb broodys right now and they play swicheroo on a daily basis. They pile 2 and three to a nest. I fill each nest with well marked guinea eggs.(the only eggs that will survive the hen piles) I Know that each nest will be sat on, by different hen daily but it works. In your situation, if you have ony one broody you will be left with cold eggs on occasion. What Austin said might work, depending on her disposition. She might refuse to set in her new location, pace back and forth in the cage and be very mad, you will just have to try it and see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by