First time broody won't leave nest

Oz Chook

Chirping
13 Years
Nov 11, 2007
Western Australia
My hand raised little Pekin girl, Ginger, is broody for the first time - and to make you all have a giggle, she decided to do this in-between the pillows on our bed - after a lot of convincing we got her as far as a box next to our bed!

The problem we are having is that she won't leave her nest (a laundry Basket) to poop, eat, drink and have a bath. Very occasionally she will, but most times we take her out. Even then, she won't stay there long enough to eat and drink very much.

I wasn't sure if her nest is too far away from the back door...

We don't want to intervene too much, but we also don't want her to become malnourished and sick.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Sounds like you have a house chicken for sure! Are you letting her set eggs and raise chicks? If you are not, I would consider breaking her of being broody. Pekins/Cochins are a very broody breed and will brood almost indefinitely if nothing stops them. They will go on for so long it can definitely be bad for their health. Most broodys will leave the nest only once or twice a day for a short period of time so that is pretty normal. You might try keeping food and water very near her nest and see if that would help. Besides just continuing to take her outside once or twice a day as you are... Did she normally poop inside the house if she was just running around before? If she is actually somewhat housebroken she may feel herself to be in a quandary in that she doesn't want to go all the way out of the house to poop, maybe try something like a litter box that feels more like outside? Also be sure she can get in and out of the basket easily, if a nest is hard to get into they seem to be less inclined to leave it.

Thanks for that. I'll move the food and water in.I had considered it but wasn't quite sure. When she does go outside I have to stay nearby so the other girls don't pick on her. She is definately a house chicken! Mum decided after she hatched her that she had done her bit so we raised her and the rest of the babies. I hand tame a lot of babies for people so it wasn't too add..

We have a very broody home - we have chickens that aren't meant to go broody that do at least once a year, crazy house.

She's now content in her box, I've 2 Pekin and 2 Polish eggs under her so in 18 days we'll what kid of mum she'll be. She's such a sweet thing, she should make a nice mum.

The good thing that has come out of this is that we get to see first hand how they go through it all
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom