First time broody

crazychick87

Chirping
Jun 20, 2021
Our 9 month old light Sussex is broody! She’s been sitting for 2 days now (came out last night for 10 minutes for food and water).
we have wanted to add to our 4 hens for a while so I have ordered some hatching eggs. They won’t be here until day 4-5. Will she sit long enough to hatch them or give up around 21 days regardless?

Thanks 😊

She'll probably stick around a few days extra! Often they have hatchings staggered by 1-5 days.

First time broodies are unpredictable though, so I'd be prepared for either a lose or an improvised incubation finish. I've done the last 3 days with a heating pad, a barely damp rag and a thermometer with phenomenal success, if a fair bit of micro managing.

Thank you.

I will start having a look round for an incubator just in case!
When the eggs arrive (6) do I just swap them for the ones she’s sat on? She is on around 15 at the moment (non will hatch), I don’t want them going bad under her, can’t imagine that smell would be nice lol.

Thank you.

I will start having a look round for an incubator just in case!
When the eggs arrive (6) do I just swap them for the ones she’s sat on? She is on around 15 at the moment (non will hatch), I don’t want them going bad under her, can’t imagine that smell would be nice lol.
Yes, you could just swap them, at night is best. Take out the duds, put in the hatching eggs, and make sure to mark them and remove any new laid eggs. Good luck 😊🤞

Back
Top Bottom