First time building a duck run/coop - input desired

I would suggest something like this:

The building is shorter, but there is an outside run with a low fence (ducks don't fly much) which is covered with dirt. Plants probably don't really matter much, since they would quickly get eaten up. The building itself will be something for the ducks to hide under to give shade.

I like the fact that you have it elevated. It certainly makes the bathtub easy to empty.

I have no experience with turf. I honestly don't know how important it is to have soil/dirt for duck. For chickens I'd say it's mandatory, due to their strong scratching instinct. Ducks, as I mentioned, like to dig around in dirt with their beaks, but I don't know how much it would hurt for them not to do it. It certainly feels as if ducks need natural ground to stand on, but maybe that's just my inner hippie talking.

It's good that you'll let them out in the backyard, supervised, often. That may negate the need for a large dirt-covered run, or one at all.

Furthermore, I'd advice you to only get three ducks, since you have such limited space. Two is one too little, because if one dies, the other one will be lonely and miserable. If there's three, there's always one back-up.

As you may notice, I'm far from an expert. I base my answers mostly on my personal experience with Muscovy ducks and chickens in temperate Sweden.

I appreciate the input, regardless of your "expert" status. =)

I'm with you on wanting ducks to have access to dirt/grass. It's what they'd have in the wild. Same with water. Just breaks my heart to think that some folks aren't able to keep swimming water available to their ducks in some fashion or another. Even if they'll get along without it, it just seems wrong. So I understand where you're coming from!

That said, I'm fighting a lack of space for permanent structures. That was one of the reasons for making the run as long as I was planning. It neatly takes up a specific spot in the yard that I can afford to permanently allocate for ducks. Plus, if I work a long day or we have to leave town for a weekend, it's enough space that the ducks should be able to make do without requiring us to find a duck-sitter for them.

I do like your revised design suggestion though, so i got to thinking... I can probably make something like what you suggested that can also be broken down and put away when not in use.

the folding fence would probably be easiest to make, use and store. But I could also make the hoop design where the hog wire was removable and the bottom frame could break down into a couple pieces. already owning a bunch of hog wire (previous gardening project) makes that design a bit cheaper to implement for me.

Either way, I've got options. I've already ordered the ducklings and they should be arriving in about a month so I've got plenty of time to figure this out. Again, thanks for the input on the project. It's appreciated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom