First time butchering need help

lnm03

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 6, 2008
OK I have about 6 to 8 roosters that I am thinking about butchering but I have several questions...

1. They are 11 weeks today when should I process? We think they are RIR but not sure they were our extras they sent.

2. I think I want to use the cut throat method after all the searching I have done does anyone know of a extremely detailed website pics would be nice but not necessary.

3. Since they are only 11 wks and are in with the rest of my hens they are eating chick starter grower and it is medicated. Do I need to take them off medicated feed for a period of time?

4. Once I have butchered them, how do you process them? I would like to leave them whole since we buy and cook mostly whole chickens at the grocery. Rarely do we purchase cut up chicken.

5. Any tips or helpful hints are fully welcomed!! Please feel free to share your experiences. I may be doing this myself since my DH said he isnt sure if he can do it (weak stomach)..

Thank you for all the info you can give!!

There is a really good step by step processing by Frugal at the top of this page. It has lots of pictures that will help tremedously.

For the feed I would put them in there own pen and feed them a 26% or higher feed. But you do want to make sure it isn't medicated as you don't want the residue in the meat.

Check it out and then ask the questions, as this may answere all of them for you.

Last edited:
I would wait until they are 14-20 weeks old. But only you know how big they are and how heavy they feel. I would also switch their feed to non medicated. We butchered for the first time this last year and we left all of our chickens whole. This next year we won't be doing that. I definitely love whole roasted chicken but it takes up too much room in the freezer. As far as cutting their throats, I've never done it that way. You can always go on Youtube and watch videos of other people doing it.

Sulfa drug has a minimum 12 day withdrawal. Earlier the tenderer. Older the meatier. Sounds like you will hit it about right. My neighbor likes old roosters (1 year-old)for (pardon the spelling) Kokovan.

Quote:
Thanks! I cant believe I missed that!!!!! LOL
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom