first time butchering

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by oldchickenman, Jan 6, 2009.

1. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    all right were going to butcher 5 rir roos on saturday. we will stop feeding fridaynight at 5pm and maybe butcher around 12 on saturday, after we clean the birds how long do i age them in the fridge befor eating or freezeing?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    I had the same question last fall. After researching I settled on letting the meat rest for a day in the fridge and then brining for another whole day before freezing. I couldn't be more happy with the results. On a scale of 1 to 10 with store bought being what everyone is used to as 10, Mine rated no less than 9 1/2.

First, if you freeze immediatly after butchering the meat is in a rigor mortis state and will stay that way when froze and then thawed. Second, store birds are injected with a brine solution with tasty results. What this does is help to tenderize the meat and retain moisture better when it is cooked and I might add tastes great too. (It also adds weight for the grocer - go figure!) It might sound like a lot of work but it is very worth it. A friend of mine froze his rock cornish right after butchering and was not pleased with the results. Brine solution: 1 gal. water/1 cup salt

3. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    After butchering mine went right into brine overnight then to freezer. It worked out good. Meat was nice and tender. Also I love rooster meat it is so rich and tasty!

4. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    thanks guys hey tackyrama i checked out your page the kids look like my crew i have 4 grandkids liveing with me there excited about helping me butcher the chickens too.

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Let them cool overnight before you do eat them, cut them up, or freeze them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by