First time chick mama is NERVOUS!! How does brooder look (pic)

Fraunie

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Elfin Forest
Today we picked out 10 day old chicks. We went in for 4-6 and came home with 8. We have two Salmon favorolles, 2 Sicilian buttercups, buff orpington, buff bramha, gold sex link, and one more;-)

I have them in a rubbermain container with food, water with Sav a Chick in it, heat lamp and then the container is in the bathtub wiht the enclosure door closed and the bathroom door closed. I've been checking on them every 10 minutes so far!! We lost a hen to a bobcat two days ago, and I am suddenly aware at how delicate they can be. I just want to make sure that I am doing everything correctly.
roll.png

Thanks.

pop.gif
Take some popcorn with you to watch the show. Mine are 10 days old and I still go watch them several times a day. I just love them to death. It seems they change every time I go check on them.

Thank you. Thank you!! They seem to be settling in just fine. They were frantic for a while, but I have caught them sleeping nicely snuggled in. My light is too hot, so I've had to move it a bit and will get a different bulb tomorrow.

Can I actually put them stright into the tub?? Is it too cold for them? I thought I might make a cardboard floor for it and obviously I will do a good job securing the drain from any bedding etc.

thanks for your help. I think the kids and I are going to opt for some chick viewing before bed instead of the rest of a movie!! They are sooo cute!!!!!

Hi, just be sure that the brooder lamp is not close enough to the plastic to start a fire. I had a brooder lamp to nearly cause a fire a few weeks ago. Very cute chicks!
Have fun!

You could put them directly in the bathtub to give them more space. I don't know about cardboard on bottom, unless you plan to put some litter on top of that. I have always heard never put newspaper in a brooder as it can cause splay leg, I would think cardboard might be the same (slippery when wet/poopy). If you do use the tub, hope you like to scrub things clean after! We prefer a washing machine, or refridgerator box in the garage. Also you will find the litter dust a little overwhelming after a couple of weeks in your house.

Yeah I'd opt for a big box rather then the tub, though I've heard of folks using the tub before! Or a couple of toilet tissue size boxes if you can't find a bigger one, cut one end off of each and tape them together. You just don't want them staying in too small a space for too much longer. Chicks are active little critters and with too little space they start getting bored and irritated with each other and may start pecking/picking.

Last edited:
Remember 95* under the lamp for the first week.Drop 5* each week until their 5th week when they won't need any more heat. Be sure there is adequate room for the chicks to move away from the lamp if they get too hot. If they are staying away from the lamp and hugging the sides of the brooder, they are too hot. Since the brooder is inside the house a 100watt bulb might be better with a brooder of that size.

I have my Chickie's inside also in my craft room closed off the a/c vent and opened the window about 1/2 way and put a stand lamp with bendable arm and 3 way bulb over them it's been working great. It's been warm here in NE TX this time of year so that's a big help also. I have mine in a large poultry cage which I borrowed from my sister, works great just put some cardboard in the bottom covered with paper towels for them to walk on. But they are out growing the cage fast, I'm sure within the week I'm going to have to move them to the coop and just keep them inside and not let them out yet, except for short outings. I am so enjoying this experience.
I'm sure your lil chickie's will be just fine. Wishing you good things only!

Back
Top Bottom