First time chick owner questions

Araibian

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 22, 2011
I am getting two new chicks and I was wondering how much chick food I will need and if they need to be taught how to be fed and how to do that I was also wondering how long they should be in a brooder if any one can help I will be very thankful
thumbsup.gif

2 chicks probably aren't going to eat much
smile.png

10 lbs will get you through the first week or so and you should be able to judge their amounts from there.
I keep mine in the brooder anywhere from 4 weeks to 6 depending on the normal temps for your area.

Thais a bunch I'm sorry to ask for more but i need go know if I need to teach them how to eAt or if they will know atomaticly. C
If any one knows please answer!

they should find it. Dip their beaks in the water tho when you first put them into the brooder. Make sure they tilt their head up to swallow it.

They don't eat too much the first couple days, but make sure their dishes are full beyond that with chick food, or medicated chick food. One thing to be really careful of, is that their water dish isn't so deep that they could fall in and drown. I pack my water dishes with marbles the first couple weeks, as chicks are kind of uncoordinated. I've had the unfortunate experience of drowning happening before, so I'm extra cautious. When you have a lot of chicks, they like to huddle in one giant chick pile, but with just a couple, you may find that a clean, new feather duster put in the brooder will help them feel at ease. Just check them often. I had a baby bantam chick get stuck to the feather duster just this morning by her own poo that had hardened under the heat lamp. She was fine after I cut her loose, and washed off her foot. Honestly, I never expected that, so just look for anything out of the ordinary. Check bums for pasty butt often. Clean as needed. I recommend a thermometer in the brooder for that few of chicks. 95-100 degrees the first week, dropping 5 degrees each week there after, In larger groups its easier to tell if they tend to be too warm or too cold without a thermometer, but with just two, you need to watch them closely.

They will find the food on their own, and water too, but if you're worried, you can dip your fingertip in water, and touch the end of their beaks with it, to get them drinking. Be careful not to get it in their nostrils.

I keep paper towels in the bottom of the brooder the first week, then let them have shavings during week two......

That's all I can think of !!
thumbsup.gif
Congrats on your babies!

I have never heard of pasty butt what is that and what are the signs also does anyone have a recontamination of a good chick food? Also I heard chicks can drink from a hamster waterer how would someone teach chicks to drink from that. One more thing one of my chicks is a polish silky mix could I get a silky with a polish like crest?

pasty butt is when their vents are covered with poop...you must clean that off as quickly as you can...check them regularly, you can use warm water and paper towels or soft rag and wipe it till it comes off, use your fingers and gently pull it, whatever it takes. It should clear up and go away within a few days.

Always make sure they have water, use the marble trick to prevent drowning...sit and watch them for a few minutes and make sure they are eating and drinking...

FOOD: use chick starter, you can find it at feed stores...medicated or not, although I recommend the medicated for little ones...moisten the chick starter with some water and stir, the little ones will be able to eat it better and mine love it!

Where do you live? Is it still cold? That will determine how long you keep the heat lamp on and how warm to keep it. How large is your brooder, how quickly the chicks grow etc will also determine when you let them out into the coop. Do they huddle together, they are cold, do they spread out and try to get away from the heat source, too hot...just watch them, you will learn quite a bit. Besides, its fun!

Last edited:
I have had MAJOR problems with Pasty butts with my cochins but never my other chicks, hopefully you won't have to deal with that, and if your worried you could just dab a little olive oil on the vent with a Q tip, that will help prevent it. You have to do it every day for the first week or so. Usually when they reach three weeks that stops.

I live in WI and it still gets a little cold here at night so I usually wait 6-7 weeks before taking mine out. Once they have feathers covering their bodies it will be safe for them.

Each week they eat a little more then the week before
big_smile.png
Mine are a bunch of pigs! LOL
Good luck with your babies and I hope you enjoy them as much as we do
big_smile.png
celebrate.gif

ETA: About teaching them to eat: If they are freshly hatched what most will do is put paper towel down over the top of the pine shavings for a few days so the chicks learn what food is...they will find it on their own. And with the water, I always dip each of their beaks in the water just slightly so you don't get it in their nose and they will get the idea. If they are a week old or so already they have already found it obviously
big_smile.png
Usually I only have to show one and the rest play copy cat
wink.png
Nice really!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom