First Time Chick Owner

e72071

Songster
Apr 1, 2016
Long Island, NY
So we did it. We finally ordered our first order ever of baby chicks. They will be here at the end of February. The only question I have right now is when the chicks are shipped, are they marked livestock or something so they don't get tossed around and will I have an opportunity to contact my post office to tell them I'll pick them up?

If I remember correctly, when we got a box of chicks through the mail, the box was marked to indicate live animals. You'll want to contact your PO several days in advance that they are coming and ask them to call you as soon as they are unloaded from the truck. Give the PO your telephone number.

If you can pick them up yourself, it will save the chicks from bouncing around in the back of a delivery truck making the day's rounds with the mailman.

Also, open the box to check on the chicks before you leave the PO. That way if you have any losses due to shipping, you have a witness. The hatcheries I know of will replace or refund you for losses that occur within about 24 hours of their arrival.

Thanks for the tip. I'd much rather pick them up when they arrive. And that's a good idea opening them there to make sure they are alive. I ordered from Meyers. Have you purchased from them?

Thanks for the tip. I'd much rather pick them up when they arrive. And that's a good idea opening them there to make sure they are alive. I ordered from Meyers. Have you purchased from them?

No, the chicks I ordered came from Murray McMurray. Meyers has a good reputation, I hope you'll be happy with the chicks you get! What breeds are you getting?

You have recieved good advice from @N F C

I ordered mine from Meyer and have been pleased. I'm planning on new chicks this year and have been trying to decide what breed and where from. Most likely I will go with Meyer again unless I can get pullets from a local breeder, but that is yet to be seen.

The box is usually clearly marked that it is live animals - I "think" it said "live chicks". Make sure that you have the correct phone number on your order form(s) at Meyer - this will be placed on your box so you can be called. I also pick up mail at a small community PO so they were aware to look for chicks - letting your Postmaster know they are on the way and making sure they have your contact info is a good idea too - people love to hear that chicks are coming! Meyer also gives tracking information, so you can track that package - usually track it through USPS.

Good luck with your new babies, I'm sure you will be thrilled when they get here
smile.png

The chicks are shipped in a box with air holes and the chick chirp a lot. They are marked, usually with “live birds”, but that’s pretty unnecessary. It’s obvious what they are. They are loud!

The box will come with your name and phone number on the outside with instructions to call you. If your postal carrier delivers your chicks to your door or mail box, call the postmaster, they just violated procedure. They are to call you and you are to pick them up unless you personally tell them to deliver them. It’s possible someone will not follow their procedure, you can get some pretty thick people anywhere, but most post offices handle shipments of live animals all the time, not just chicks. They should know what to do.

I do recommend you call, or even better go see in person, the people at the post office and talk to them about this a day or two before you expect the chicks. That’s not to tell them what to do, they already know that. One question you need ask is what time will they call. Some don’t call for a few hours, waiting until they open for the day. Some will call when the chicks are delivered to the post office, which can be pretty early. They have to do a lot of work before they open for the day or the carriers start their routes. Someone needs to be there when the mail is delivered for sorting. If they call before opening hours, ask them where the door is that you should use to come pick them up. You’ll probably have to ring a bell and get them to unlock a door. Find out where the door and the doorbell are.

I’ve ordered chicks from Meyer, Ideal, and Cackle. The boxes they use are a little different but the procedures are the same. I can understand why you re nervous, this is your first time. It’s not the first time live animals have come through that post office.

Disasters can happen, due to weather or many things. But the vast majority of the times things are great. I’ve received 70 chicks in three separate shipments. All arrived alive. I did have one die two days after arrival. I’ve had a chick I hatched die like that, not every chick is going to make it. But out of the 70 I’ve received in the mail, all but one were fine.

Good luck!

No, the chicks I ordered came from Murray McMurray. Meyers has a good reputation, I hope you'll be happy with the chicks you get! What breeds are you getting?

I ordered cuckoo Maran, austrolorp, buff Orpington, New Hampshire red, Delaware, Easter egged, buckeye and barred rock. 2 of each. I can't wait until they get here. My husband is building our brooder now.

Coop is just about ready. We have had 4 adult birds that we have had for a few years we got from a friend. Since we have some Chicken experience under our belt we want chicks. We currently have a small coop and a run area. We are increasing the size of our coop and run to accommodate the new girls.

Coop is just about ready. We have had 4 adult birds that we have had for a few years we got from a friend. Since we have some Chicken experience under our belt we want chicks. We currently have a small coop and a run area. We are increasing the size of our coop and run to accommodate the new girls.

Sounds good!

Back
Top Bottom