First time chick parents... Go big or go home!

shawn.dearie

Chirping
Oct 22, 2018
Southeast Louisiana
Hey folks! Been thinking about chickens for a while and decided to take the plunge with an order from Murrary McMurrary back in January. We ordered 25 hens! We ordered Black Australorp, Dominique, Buff Rock, Ameraucana, Barred Rock, Delaware, and New Hampshire hens with one surprise chick.

We are two weeks in today and we have only lost one hen, which was so much smaller than the other chicks, after the first night.

Aside from these fools constantly mucking up their water with pine shavings, things have been going pretty well. Thank goodness for this forum and YouTube to help navigate the waters.

I am in the process of building my combo coop/run because I won't be able to free range them due to our full-time schedules.

We are beyond excited to get our idea of a homestead off of the ground on our 5 acres and transform this piece of Earth into something that is more sustainable. If the last few weeks have reinforced any lessons, it has been that our over-reliance on a centralized food supply subjective to external forces is not where I want to be.

We split the weekend between setting posts for our permanent structure for coop/run and also building raised bed gardens and moving soil. I got the first 10 plants in the ground on Sunday thanks to the wonderful thoughtfulness of a neighbor who had some tomato starts that he shared. This week, we will be laying out the remaining bed plans with the kids and going out to the back yard to put the seeds in the ground!

Oh, if we weren't absolutely crazy enough, we also ordered 10 Rouen ducklings. We went from 0 fowl to 35 overnight, and it has been a blast!!! We will be sure to keep everyone in the loop and I am sure you will see me on here asking question when I got a wall. Until then, hope everyone stays safe!

Attachments

• 1585092776057786809716777897030.jpg
    1585092776057786809716777897030.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200323_074132327.jpg
    IMG_20200323_074132327.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 15
I did something similar, we went from 0 to 23 in 3 weeks. 8 bantams, 9 layers, and 6 ducklings. We now have 22 as we had to cull a bantam a couple of days ago, but we love all these little guys! We also can't free range, but because we have 2 bald eagle nests, 1 golden eagle nest, and many hawks less than a mile from us. The overhead predators are constant. Also there are fox dens behind us and in front of us. Our babies will be living in fort Knox!
Your flock is adorable!!

I did something similar, we went from 0 to 23 in 3 weeks. 8 bantams, 9 layers, and 6 ducklings. We now have 22 as we had to cull a bantam a couple of days ago, but we love all these little guys! We also can't free range, but because we have 2 bald eagle nests, 1 golden eagle nest, and many hawks less than a mile from us. The overhead predators are constant. Also there are fox dens behind us and in front of us. Our babies will be living in fort Knox!
Your flock is adorable!!

I am going to be working on my coop/run tomorrow. I will be sure to post pics!

Hi there neighbor! That looks great... nice and big... have fun!

Thanks!

Hope you are doing well down there. Crazy times, with the metro NOLA area really being hit hard! We are in Folsom where things aren't too bad, but it looks like things are going to get worse in the coming days...

Praying that things can slow down to give our healthcare workers a breather!!!

Back
Top Bottom