First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Oh and we were going to herd them into the coop at night right as dusk in the beginning before we have the run. When we have the run they will still have free range access at certain times.

What are some examples of raccoon proof latches? Right now there is a big turn latch on the shed doors, it is designed for a lock to be in it but we don't, and it's semi rusted so it takes good force to get it unlatched lol.

The simplest is a padlock, but those can be a pain if you don't want to deal with it each time. Generally you want something that requires two simultaneous actions to open because raccoons can figure out stepwise latches. For example, instead of a standard hook-and-eye latch, they make one with a spring closure that you have to hold back to be able to remove the hook from the eye

We want to add a "screen door" made of wire cloth to put inside the shed door as a second layer of protection.

We are putting chicken wire over the vents/Windows and there are two cents at the top of the shed that were there structurally but we are thinking of taking them out and just putting chicken wire over those.

Unfortunately, chicken wire is good for keeping chickens IN, but not for keeping predators OUT. They can tear right through it. That's why hardware cloth--and yes, I know how much more expensive it is! I just covered a duck house with it last night...

I know the squirrels once thought the shed was there home but we've cleaned their crap/nests/acorn stash up and kicked them out. Do you think they will disturb the chickens when they're out there?

I've no experience with this one. I've got enough predators that I've only seen one squirrel and absolutely no rabbits despite keeping my chickens in a rural area on a wooded lot.

For bedding we are going with deep litter method. So hay at the bottom with some sprinkled DE and then about 6inches of pine shavings.

Deep litter seems to work best on dirt floors because you want the microorganisms to migrate up and extra moisture to drain down...it's essentially a chicken compost pile. If you mean deep bedding, then any floor will do and it's my preferred method

Yes I think I meant deep bedding method. It's about 6 inches of bedding right?

Also my husband informed me we did get hardware cloth and it was more expensive then chicken wire. :) it's really small squares wiring.

I think we will change the latching based on your insights. I've never see a raccoon outside but I don't doubt they are out there, we have possums for sure.

Pretty much. I think I started with about 6" and as they stomp the shavings down, I periodically "fluff" them up and add some more. I've got it set up to eventually end up with them 12" deep.

It's definitely the predator that you don't see that cause the most trouble! I've never seen a raccoon at my place either, but it's the only thing that could have taken apart an overlapping mesh seam covering one of my outdoor pens...lost one chicken and had two injuries from that intrusion. :(

Awesome news! My neighbor and I are still waiting to see which 'sister chick' lays first... but we have a while to go to August. :) Soo egg-cited for you!!!

Yeah, I got my primary egg-layers in mid-January so I'd start getting eggs ASAP. I've got at least two out of twenty girls laying now...enough for my breakfast most mornings. Given how everybody's combs are looking, I'll soon be able to supply the family though!

What do you think of these two BO chicks. Pullets? or is one a roo? They are 4 weeks old.

Possible Roo. Ariel.

The other BO. Not suspecting Roo, but for comparison. This is Belle.

Quoting so that the previous pictures are shown. Here is an update on Ariel's comb and waddles status. He is 4.5 weeks old now.

I see pink waddles starting to emerge. Roo suspicion rising. ;) We will know when Ariel crows or lays I suppose!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom