First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

How many do you have? How big is your brooder? We had some flyers too. A baby gate on top of the brooder worked great for us. Cheap solution. Also, chicken wire or hardware cloth on top works great too. 

There are 21 chicks.
The brooder is 5x5' with cardboard walls approx 3' tall.
Five of them were loose in the room when I went in with the evening meal. And just to ice this cake thoroughly, a sixth chick flew up and over the brooder wall as I approached! Three walls are framed and raised on my coop...please, please let the rain hold off tomorrow...

On the other hand, my favorite chick, Einstein (she's smart, outgoing, and just cannot seem to get rid of the last of her grey head fluff), decided that after she had filled her crop that she needed some lap time. Made happy chick noises while I petted her, then started settling down to sleep. Heart melted.

Well, I put them out yesterday afternoon and they loved it. It wasn't until a few hours later as the sun started going down that they huddled in the corner. My two dogs were fascinated in a bad way I think. It seems that the flapping wings and little yellow running things triggered their hunting instincts. I'll have to watch them closely and try to get them to understand that these are not appetizers. Thanks again for the encouragement to try this.

On Friday we got our five baby chicks. We got a Rhode Island Red, an Americauna, a brahma, a Plymouth Rock, and a Cuckoo Maran. On Saturday we noticed our Maran had a big butt and looked it up and realized that she had a clogged vent (by looking it up, I mean I searched these forums for "bald butt chick" and got the answers I needed.) There had not been any improvement by Sunday morning so we did the soak her in the warm water thing and she started pooping. My wife said she was never to relieved to see poop. My wife is in love. She even did a photo shoot. I present our first chickens (now to just finish the coop).

@Homersolo

What beautiful babies! How in the world did you get them to pose so well for you?? (does that alert people to the post when you use the @ sign in front of a username??)

I'm new to the chicken world and I hope you all don't mind me joining in the thread. I've been researching for quite a while and was so thankful when I found BYC. I've ordered 9 chicks but they won't be here till JUNE! All the breeds I wanted were sold out till then. Ugh. But we did pick up 12 at TSC on Thursday. They are a week old today!

We got 6 Isa Browns and 6 Cornish cross meat chickens. I lost an Isa right off.. she was very tiny.. like a little runt and very weak. She had no interest in food or water. I tried nursing her back to health, but I think she was just too far gone. :( It broke my heart when I found her, but in a way, I was relieved. At least she wasn't still suffering. The remaining crew are doing well, and growing by leaps and bounds.. especially the Cornish crosses.... little fatties!! xD

I'd love to post pictures, but all my pictures are on my phone. How do I get them from there to here?

We just started the coop construction today. I'm super excited. I have been reading a lot of layouts and tips/tricks for the coop. I only want to do this once. I know what I want the outside to look like, but I'm trying to figure out the perfect layout for the inside. It needs to be user friendly and functional... And I'm trying to come up with a coop name.. I'm picky, so that might be tough. lol

Anyway, sorry for rambling!

There's no real way to prevent it because it can be caused by so many things: stress of travel, stress in a new environment, dehydration..

To "cure it", take the chick in question and soak their bum in warm water. then take a warm piece of paper towel and gently work out the softening poop. DONT pull too hard as to rip out their little feathers. it can be accidental, and sometimes unavoidable, but mostly its a simple process. once their vent is clear, i dip their beak in the water in case dehydration was the culprit.

one so I have one that has that issue I believe I litter watch her poop. She had build up when I brought her home two days ago. And remembered reading somewhere to use a warm clothe or paper towel. She still getting stickies (dingleberries) but for the most part she looks to be passing well at. Least after she is wiped. I wipe her mostly after she poops, if I catch it. You think that is too much

one so I have one that has that issue I believe I litter watch her poop. She had build up when I brought her home two days ago. And remembered reading somewhere to use a warm clothe or paper towel. She still getting stickies (dingleberries) but for the most part she looks to be passing well at. Least after she is wiped. I wipe her mostly after she poops, if I catch it. You think that is too much

Nope. Hopefully you won't have to do it for very long.

Hello Everyone!
I am new to the forum as well as a new chicken momma!! I have been coveting other peoples chickens for a long time now but I finally got my first chicks this past Saturday. They will be 2 weeks old on Thursday.
I am told they are "Easter Egger/Ameraucana". The guy I got them from said he tried to pick out only females for me but from what I have read on here it's not possible to know at this age. He said he is pretty good at guessing... we shall see. There are 4 baby peeps in total. I will be happy if at least 2 are females and the guy I got them from keeps his word to take back any roosters!

Stripes!

1f60d.png
1f413.png
Hello Everyone! I am new to the forum as well as a new chicken momma!! I have been coveting other peoples chickens for a long time now but I finally got my first chicks this past Saturday. They will be 2 weeks old on Thursday. I am told they are "[COLOR=222222]Easter Egger/Ameraucana". The guy I got them from said he tried to pick out only females for me but from what I have read on here it's not possible to know at this age. He said he is pretty good at guessing... we shall see. There are 4 baby peeps in total. I will be happy if at least 2 are females and the guy I got them from keeps his word to take back any roosters![/COLOR] [COLOR=222222].[/COLOR] Stripes!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom