First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

If you do a search about integrating your flock, you will find tons of information and options to accomplish it fairly safely.

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    One of my light brahma chicks passed away during the night. :( Don't know the reason. Hope that this is the last one and maybe it was a fluke. Came home from the farm store with me Monday night, so certainly could have been related to that.

On a different note, the two Sicilian Buttercup chicks are already jump/flying and I just got them Monday! I do think they may be a week old, but they certainly are precocious...I am going to be that one of them turns out to be a roo as it is always extremely alert and keeping an eye out for things even when everybody else is eating. We shall see, but I actually would be really happy to have one of each sex if it came down to it (even though I actually think the girls are prettier in this one breed!).

3. lizbeth120

lizbeth120 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Boonsboro, MD
    My babies are already getting some impressive wing feathers and they're only 5 days old! [​IMG]

4. texpat

texpat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2015
    East Texas
    I have 26 Red Stars, and 1 Blue Silkie. I didn't know what it was until it started to grow feathers on its feet. It is an interesting looking little bird. This is my first experience with chickens, and it's a blast. It is absolutely amazing how fast they grow. Mine are 2 1/2 wks old. I am semi-retired, so I have the time to spend with, and care for them.

5. silky guy

silky guy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    San Antonio Tx
    hi there I'm silky guy we have silkes and if you need any advice come to me
    heres 1 of them[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. gmow2087

gmow2087 Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2016
    So my chicks are now 5 weeks old and pretty far along as far as feathers go... they refuse to stay in their brooder. Last night I moved them to the coop for the first time, I had the heat lamp on but when I checked on them it was over a 100 degrees. I gave theme cool water and turned the light off. They did great! But tonight is supposed to be in the high 30's as oppsed to last nights 50's, do you think they will fair well?

7. mrv19

mrv19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    Could you just put a lower watt bulb in there just to kill the chill in the air?

8. circlehouse

circlehouse Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2015
    Vermont
    Great idea for a thread! We are getting our first chicks in a couple of weeks. 2 buff Orpingtons, 2 silver laced wyandottes, 2 araucanas, 1 light brahma, and 1 jersey black giant. Super excited! Starting to build our coop next weekend, we will be brooding in the coop with the mama heating pad method so we need to hustle!

9. Husker Chick

Husker Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
  10. circlehouse

circlehouse Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2015
    Vermont

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by