First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    @azygous did a great job in her article about the benefits of brooding outdoors! Hubby just got the portals cut and framed into the brooder pen, and I'm excited to use them rather than just trying to prop one side partly open during integration. In the article I wrote, I was talking about the "hows".
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

I also brood chicks outdoors, using Mama Heating Pad, and I'll never go any other way. But I'm the first to admit that it's certainly not for everyone, and don't try to "covert" folks who might not be comfortable with such a drastic change in doing things. The way I look at it, there is no absolute "right" or "wrong" way to brood as long as the result is healthy chicks! We sure welcome anyone who wants to stop by the Mama Heating Pad thread and check things out! Good group of warm, friendly people over there!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

2. Mitch Mullenax

Mitch Mullenax Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016

You are shameless. This the newbie thread! lol Folks this is a great thread. It is a great investment worth your time to read every post.

3. Trizzy123

Trizzy123 New Egg

Mar 19, 2016

So cute! That one looks like he/she has a bandage around its head. Funny!

4. ChickityChina

ChickityChina Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Quote:

1 person likes this.
  5. jackier26

jackier26 New Egg

Mar 19, 2016
    We just got our chicks today, a few of each
    New Hampshire reds
    Golden sex link
    brahma

[​IMG]

6. misslogan019

misslogan019 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2016
    Georgia
    My chicks are a little over 3 weeks old, there coop is ready for them to move in. I have a couple of questions before I move them in about 2 more weeks.

1. When do I move them from starter/grower feed to laying feed?

2. What can I use for dust baths?

3. Should I use pine shavings or hay for nesting boxes?

4. When should I stop using electrolytes for their water?

7. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

8. Alterego71

Alterego71 New Egg

Mar 2, 2016
    Update: So I picked up our chicks Thursday afternoon. 9 healthy little Buff Orpingtons. Cute little buggers! We also managed to keep them all alive!!! Yay, go us! We do have one that we are having to retrain to walk properly. One of the little peeps had what appeared to be the umbilical cord still attached and wrapped around its leg which hampered its movement. I had read that the "cord" would fall off after a couple days so we waited. Unfortunately, we could wait no longer as the others were starting to pick on him/her it appeared. They didn't peck at it, just pushed it around and knocked it over. Luckily, the little one has a couple protectors in the bunch that chase off the others when they start up.

Anyway, back to my point. I decided (my wife decided, lol) to cut this thing off his leg. It was dry and crusty so I snipped it nearest the leg and gently unwrapped it from around the leg. Then I cut what I could off of it without getting to close to the belly. The little bugger is a tad bit wobbly now since there is more movement in that leg, but we are working to get it used to having the leg under rather than behind a bit. My question is . . . What should I be on the lookout for? Will this eventually fall off the rest of the way or do we need to work to remove it? Also, the leg is a bit red where the cord was. Hopefully, this will return to normal in time.

Pics coming as soon as I can get some decent ones, lol.:/:p

9. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    1 I change to grower as soon as they are out of the brooder. And then change to layer about 16-20 weeks. You will get a different answer for ever person you ask.

2 As far as a dust bath I mixed playground clean sand, DE, and woodstove ashes. However they enjoy uses just the dirt outside in their run as well. They use the inside dust bath for laying eggs.

3 I use both shavings or straw what ever I have at the time I change the nest boxes. I prefer shavings. The eggs seem to stay cleaner.

4 I stop using electrolytes after about two weeks. Electrolytes are to help them recover from shipping.

10. Staff017

Staff017 Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2016
    NH
    Hi!
    I'm so excited to finally start our chicken family! We have a coop on order. I've never raises chicks before, and I'm not sure we're doing it right. The winters get cold here, so we're ordering a well-built draft free coop with electrical access. I figure better safe than sorry!
    We have a three and a half year old and an almost two year old, who are very excited to help with this process. We are mostly in it for the eggs and the social aspect. Any recommendations on breeds? We are looking to get 6 to 8 layers. I'm not sure if we should get extra chicks assuming some attrition.

I'm very interested in using the coop from the start, or very soon after. We can move it around with the tractor and we have an extra spot in the garage at the moment. Would it be totally crazy to start the coop off in the garage, and then move it outside once the chicks are a little bigger? Or just totally unnecessary?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by