First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. andrea2chicken

andrea2chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2016
    oklahoma
    So tonight I noticed that Cocky looked like he had some sticking droppings so caught her to wash her get her to the sink only yo find out these are her under the tail feathers. My babies are growing

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Changing out leg bands this evening on the 9 week olds went really well. Cut the old colored zip ties off, replaced them with looser ones, and added a numbered zip tie on the opposite leg. Only two out of 21 put up any kind of fuss, so I definitely will be using the handling training technique on the newest chicks as well.

Separated the smaller chicks (mostly banties) into a second brooder tonight too. They were on,y getting picked on mildly...mostly the bigger chicks kept tripping over them and shoving them out of the way so I thought it might be best to have their own space. Most of them immediately did their "dead chick sleeping" impression. Except for Captain Seabright. He was NOT pleased to be included with the "little" kids and was letting everybody know it! Finally, he had enough, gave me a middle feather, and flew out of the new brooder. So, he got his way and went into the bigger kids brooder (that has taller sides!). Immediate contentment.

3. misslogan019

misslogan019 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2016
    Georgia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] 3 1/2 week old slw what do yall think so far

2 people like this.
  4. ChickityChina

ChickityChina Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Ohh I love SLWs!! I wanted one when I got chicks but they weren't going to be in for another month, so I didn't want to spread my chicks ages out that far. If I ever get another hen, it'll be a SLW.

5. toolbox003

toolbox003 New Egg

Mar 4, 2016
    NE Kansas
    I got 12 girls three weeks ago and the very next day went and got 3 more. Probably gonna do another 5 for an even 20! They are approaching their "adolescent ugly" stage and are super noisy when we first move the top of the brooder, but we sure do like them a lot! My hubby even built them a little roosting bar! [​IMG]

6. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina

2 people like this.
  7. potterycat

potterycat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2016
    Getting 5 for the first time ever tomorrow. Nervous and excited. My kids have been researching tons!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. ChickityChina

ChickityChina Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Yay! Good luck! What breeds are you getting? Show us some pics when you get home with them! [​IMG] And welcome!

9. toolbox003

toolbox003 New Egg

Mar 4, 2016
    NE Kansas
    Have fun today settling them in! I just joined "chickenhood" as well three weeks ago! They are a blast and everyone has so much fun watching and holding them! Your kids are going to love them! I agree, pictures!!

10. MJ12728

MJ12728 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Little Orleans, MD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]I put a chunk of sod in a few days ago as some suggested. They LOVE it, pecking it and even sleeping on it. The Cross Links are getting so much bigger I'm going to have to move them into their own brooder soon. I'm thinking about getting one of those big melon boxes from the grocery store but worried about where to put it. To big for the house and still cold in the garage. Do you thin they'll be ok in the garage with brooder lamp?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by