First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. stephanieikay

stephanieikay New Egg

Mar 1, 2016
    Hi all,

I'm a first time chick raiser and I'm happy to see I'm not the only one giving my chicks lap time!

2. Crash812

Crash812 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Black Australorp, Gold Sex Link, at three weeks, and two Americanas at two weeks old.

3. Mama4Chickies

Mama4Chickies Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2016
    NE Florida
    First time parents (to chicks), and first time posting on here. We just got our first batch of babies last week -- 2 RIRs, 2 Plymouth Rocks, 2 Golden Lace Wyandottes (because the Silvers didn't come in), and 6 Buff Orphingtons (1 didn't make it through the first night).I thought we were going to start small with maybe 6 total chicks, but they were just so doggone cute -- and I still didn't get my Silver Lace Wyandottes, which I wanted the most. Well, today we found out that a whole bunch of the Silver Laces came in at our feed store and we now have 4 more babies!! Then my husband ordered 6 Jersey Giants (for meat) and told me not to get attached to them. Ok to get attached to the others. Now all we have to do is get the coop built!! We have the babies in a big tub that is for watering cattle, I think. I read that its ok to feed babies organic yellow corn meal, so we bought some, and mixed it in with their food and put it in the food processor and the babies went crazy over it. Hope that's ok to do. The week old ones are starting to get little tail feathers and its amazing how much they have grown. Didn't realize until we put the new babies in with them. Watched to be sure everyone would get along, so far, so good. We have read and looked and done all we know to do to see what kind of coop we want to build. It's been a toss up between stationery or mobile. I think we are going to do a stationery coop with a mobile playpen that can be attached. There are lots of varmits around, so we have to secure the girls real good. Lots to do pretty quickly, but so far, loving these babies!!!

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Well, found my first roo of this bunch!

[​IMG]

His comb is much pinker than the other one. Unfortunately he also has a wry beak and so I guess he'll be the first entrant in the batchelor flock...

[​IMG]

5. ChickityChina

ChickityChina Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Awww he's so cute with his little crook'd beak! I feel for him as I myself have a sorta crooked nose [​IMG]

6. ChickityChina

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I am jealous of your SLWs! I know my feed store had a batch coming in this week and I am using up every ounce of self control I have not to go and get some. I just don't have the room for them at the moment and I will not overcrowd myy babies. But, it's killin' me! lol. Sorry I can't very knowledgeably answer chick feeding questions, like whether cornmeal is okay. I am a first timer for chicks myself. But I do know only that the starter feed contains everything they need, so nothing else is necessary yet. Congrats on your new chicks!! And welcome!!

7. Seymour Hen66

Seymour Hen66 New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    Just got 10 Rhode Island Isa Browns yesterday and this is my first time at raising chicks. I am loving this new adventure me and my family have began. Taking in as much info as I can about raising chicks. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. ChickityChina

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland

It is super exciting! I see you have a youngun' too! Bet she is thrilled! I have a 2 yr old daughter and she is loving playing mommy to all her babies!
    Welcome! I love this thread and the fact that there are so many others who are new to raising from chicks.

9. Slesage

Slesage Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2016
    Hi,

I just got my first 8 chicks and 4 ducks. Having problems with one chick. It is sluggish and well something is not right. Any ideas? I may also post with not newbies lol.

10. LindaD29697

LindaD29697 Out Of The Brooder

Just hatched around 40 new chicks..... Blue Andalusians, Sumatras,
    Light Brahmas, Egyptian Fayoumis, White Face Black Spanish, and White Giants. They will be 2 weeks old this coming Monday. Will post picks later today as that my husband is yelling for me to come outside and help him in the garden as we are still tilling it up but will be planting on April 2. LOL

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by