First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. violamama

violamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2016
    NW Oregon
    We moved ours (probably about 4 weeks old-ish) to a big mostly open brooder in our non-drafty but not insulated shed. It does have a heat lamp but the set-up isn't cozy by any means. It's been high 30's, low 40's here at night and they have been just fine. We checked them for clumping or piling on each other and they aren't. They do huddle up in a line, like a little chicken power brainstorm meeting.

I'm going to try that with the sod. I've been thinking they need more stuff to do in there.

2. lizbeth120

lizbeth120 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Boonsboro, MD
    I got one! and a black australorp. They are so tiny compared to my 10 day olds! I almost got struck by chicken math, but luckily the speckled sussex sold out before it was my turn otherwise I would have walked out with more than our coop can realistically accomodate.

3. ChickityChina

ChickityChina Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Woohoo!

I so badly want to go back and get a SLW this week, but I know I can't overpack our coop. That is the only thing holding me back right now lol. [​IMG]Chicken math. What an exercise in restraint. [​IMG]

I love my black australorps! One of the two I got was so small compared to the others who are the same age. She still is small actually, and got her feathers well after the other chicks did. She is a firecracker though and holds her own. Such pretty black chicks with the white tips on their wings. Pepper (the tiny one) still has her tips, while her sister has grown out of them and is almost fully black now.

4. lizbeth120

Mar 10, 2016
    Boonsboro, MD
    [​IMG]

My last two for this year - a golden laced wyandotte and black australorp

5. ChickityChina

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Awww - cute lil fluffy butts! [​IMG] And they'll be beautiful ladies once they're grown.

1 person likes this.
  6. calmom2

calmom2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Hi
    I am first time mommy to 3 sweet girls. Rhode Island Red, Domonique, Golden Sex Link.
    I have them in my garage in a rabbit cage, with their soft shavings, light, food and water and lots of cuddle time.
    They are so sweet. I brought them in with me last night and they all three snuggled on my lap on top of
    my heating blanket while I watched a movie. I wanted to take them to bed with me but ha I didn't.
    I just picked up my coop from Costco yesterday going to put it up this weekend. Trying to figure out the best spot
    for it on my 5 acre property.

1 person likes this.
  7. lizbeth120

Mar 10, 2016
    Boonsboro, MD
    Our coop is about 5 feet from our deck so it has access to the outdoor outlets if we decide to run a light and water defroster in the winter. Also I don't want to have to dig paths through lots of snow to get to them this winter so it's also pretty easily accessible from our basement door. I thought of that when we had 30+ inches of snow this past winter. Anyway, I wouldn't put it too far away because you'll be less likely to make the trek! Congrats on your new babies, I wanted a Dominique but couldn't get them locally this year.

8. lizbeth120

Mar 10, 2016
    Boonsboro, MD
    [​IMG]

The new day old chicks are so tiny compared to the 10-day old clutch from last week! (and the golden comet's face cracks me up in this pic)

9. ChickityChina

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    LOL she's like "Who invited the freshmen??"

10. ChickityChina

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Welcome! I wish I had 5 acres to raise chickens on. I would go for my PhD in chicken math! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by