First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Sells

Sells Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Kernersville, NC
    We picked up our chicks today - 53 so cute. They have been busy all day, but starting to settle down. Been a fun day. Here is a pic of [​IMG]our special little "surprise" chick.

2. snlconner

snlconner Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2015
    Aww!

3. Sky is Falling

Sky is Falling Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    Albuquerque, NM
    We just picked ours up this morning. So far all looks well. We are completely new to this also, but I am nosy and like to learn new things so I feel pretty confident. So we have 2 buff orpingtons, and 2 speckled sussex to start with, and maybe next year we will grow our flock. I did manage to get a picture of my little guy holding one of the little gals. He is cracking me up as he is a great brooding hen! I think he is coooing more than mama ever would have! " OOOOOOOOH they are SOOOOOO cuuuute! [​IMG]

4. kimmahoney

kimmahoney Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    Just got my first babies yesterday. One has already died. [​IMG] I don't know if she was sick or just got trampled. I believe I have done everything by the book...large container, red heat lamp, about 90* on one end, covered other end with a towel to prevent drafts, started food, plenty of fresh water that I have changed/filled 3 times already, rubber nonslip mat, pine shavings, thermometer. I placed a brick in there for them to climb on since I haven't found anything to serve as a roost bar yet. What am I missing?

5. Sherlock Watson

Sherlock Watson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    Salish Sea Region
    So cute!

6. FrancenPants831

FrancenPants831 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2016
    cute ! Looks like a polish chick I have these 5 tolbunt polish.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Not sure if anyone answered your question yet. You can order fewer than 25 from mypetchicken. The dont do small orders year round, but once it is warmer and safer for the chicks to travel in small numbers they do.

8. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    I am so sorry to hear you lost one of your chicks [​IMG]. Sounds like you have a great set up. Was in within 24 hours of receiving the chick? Are you familiar with checking for pasty butt? Sometimes it just happens shortly after arrival.

9. amyelynn93

amyelynn93 New Egg

Feb 24, 2016
    The girls have officially settled in. We're on day three of them all being alive. we're pretty sure the two we thought were australorps are actually black stars, but no one's mad. one of the RIRs even gave me the stink eye this morning.. we havent given them official names yet.

. [​IMG]

10. kimmahoney

kimmahoney Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016

What the heck is pasty butt? And how do you cure/prevent it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by