First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. ChickityChina

ChickityChina Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Oh goodie! I am joining the first-timers club this year! We are getting our babies next week (Feb 29th) and I will post pics then. We live in Western Maryland and I have three young kiddos (2, 6, and 8) who are also super excited.

We are planning on getting 6 chicks (3 EEs, 1 RIR, 1 Australorp, and 1 Golden Comet). I will be raising them for the first month or so in a large aquarium tank, then I plan on moving them to a sealed off playpen.

I am so excited to be starting this and I look forward to learning with y'all! [​IMG]

2. Mldavidson13

Mldavidson13 New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    [​IMG]
    We got our first chicks today. This is one of them. Our's are a "barnyard mix", crossed between Wheaton/Blue Wheaton Ameraucana and either Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Gold-Laced Wyandotte, or Black Copper Marans.

[​IMG]

They're straight-run but I'm trying to figure out what to sacrifice to the pullet gods so that most/all of them are girls, since we can't have roos here. It was a risk, but we decided to try it.

Monica

1 person likes this.
  3. beylabean

beylabean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    Got my very first chicks this afternoon:)

[​IMG]

4. FrancenPants831

FrancenPants831 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2016
    What breed of chicks did you get? How many? I have 5 tolbunt frizzle chicks,6 Cornish cross chicks and 5 runner ducklings. Plus a gilt pig named francy but that's for a swine form I suppose.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  5. beylabean

beylabean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    10 SLW and 1 Sexlink :) We are moving to our new property end of next month and then we will slowly start to grow our 'farm' We are hoping for ducks, guineas, quails and more chickens of course. Also thinking about a hog and goat! ;)

6. FrancenPants831

Feb 19, 2016
    God so far my ducks are proving to be a pain in the you know what but my quail and chickens are easy enough.....and the pig is great at least mine is she acts like a dog.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. FrancenPants831

Feb 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. FrancenPants831

Feb 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

9. FrancenPants831

Feb 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

10. Redwolf141

Redwolf141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2016
    Johnstown Pa
    Hi all I am also new to Chickens this year , I am not hatching any but I ordered 6 from Myers today they will arrive on the 16th of March, I can't wait. I got 2 Barred Rocks 2 speckled Sussex 1 black Australorp, and 1 silver laced Wyandotte, the last is a surprise for my girlfriend, she loves the look of them she has no idea I ordered her one.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by