First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Oh goodie! I am joining the first-timers club this year! We are getting our babies next week (Feb 29th) and I will post pics then. We live in Western Maryland and I have three young kiddos (2, 6, and 8) who are also super excited.

We are planning on getting 6 chicks (3 EEs, 1 RIR, 1 Australorp, and 1 Golden Comet). I will be raising them for the first month or so in a large aquarium tank, then I plan on moving them to a sealed off playpen.

I am so excited to be starting this and I look forward to learning with y'all!
celebrate.gif

We got our first chicks today. This is one of them. Our's are a "barnyard mix", crossed between Wheaton/Blue Wheaton Ameraucana and either Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Gold-Laced Wyandotte, or Black Copper Marans.

They're straight-run but I'm trying to figure out what to sacrifice to the pullet gods so that most/all of them are girls, since we can't have roos here. It was a risk, but we decided to try it.

Monica

What breed of chicks did you get? How many? I have 5 tolbunt frizzle chicks,6 Cornish cross chicks and 5 runner ducklings. Plus a gilt pig named francy but that's for a swine form I suppose.

Last edited:
What breed of chicks did you get? How many? I have 5 tolbunt frizzle chicks,6 Cornish cross chicks and 5 runner ducklings. Plus a gilt pig named francy but that's for a swine form I suppose.

10 SLW and 1 Sexlink :) We are moving to our new property end of next month and then we will slowly start to grow our 'farm' We are hoping for ducks, guineas, quails and more chickens of course. Also thinking about a hog and goat! ;)

10 SLW and 1 Sexlink :)  We are moving to our new property end of next month and then we will slowly start to grow our 'farm'  We are hoping for ducks, guineas, quails and more chickens of course.  Also thinking about a hog and goat! ;)
God so far my ducks are proving to be a pain in the you know what but my quail and chickens are easy enough.....and the pig is great at least mine is she acts like a dog.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Hi all I am also new to Chickens this year , I am not hatching any but I ordered 6 from Myers today they will arrive on the 16th of March, I can't wait. I got 2 Barred Rocks 2 speckled Sussex 1 black Australorp, and 1 silver laced Wyandotte, the last is a surprise for my girlfriend, she loves the look of them she has no idea I ordered her one.

Back
Top Bottom