First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. kekstrom

kekstrom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Southern Oregon
    And I guess they could always be an EE bantam too. They are clean legged and their markings vary so much. I was able to sit and identify (with almost certainty) which chick was what at my co-op because (1) we knew the hatchery that shipped the assortment, so we could look up the list of their bantam varieties and (2) we had a print out that my friend made of those chicks to visually match to the assortment. I think mystery chicks are fun! You can always search for that breeds thread here and post pics to see if anyone can help if the chick and likely they'll have pics of their own to compare because yours already has some beautiful and unique feathering.

1 person likes this.
  2. clgraham76

clgraham76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    [​IMG]

Thanks so much!! I did have someone guess OEG on that first bantam. And somebody actually guessed a silver sebright on the other. We shall see! I agree that mystery chicks are fun! Watching them transform is too!!
    These 2 mystery bantams are pretty spoiled too! The silver one prefers me over the flock!
    [​IMG]

3. Lawris

Lawris New Egg

Mar 29, 2016
    Hi,

We just got 6 chicks from the tractor supply. The are in the brooder and doing well. We have had the exactly 1 week today and they are doing great. Only had one that got pasty butt and I took care of it and she is doing great. When I first got them one chick kept attacking the other chicks. Well, I separated her for half a day and that seemed to correct the issue. My hubby and I are learning as we go. Oh and I have them for eggs.

1 person likes this.
  4. kekstrom

Mar 21, 2016
    Southern Oregon
    And whoops, I mean to type Sebright, not Seabright. Guess I should have had a few more sips of coffee before hitting the laptop. ;)

I am not a huge expert but it'll be interesting to see what the little (possible) Sebright turns out to be. They are just such spectacular chickens when full grown.

I passed up some OEG bantams and got a Golden Laced Cochin Bantam instead. She was my impulse buy. And I wish I would have gotten a dozen more of them because they are so fascinating and the mystery part is very entertaining. I'll have to post an updated pic of my little Cochin.

5. kekstrom

Mar 21, 2016
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Here she is. She is 2 weeks old today. When I chose her, I was almost certain she was a Gold Laced Cochin, but now that her feathering is showing up, I know she definitely is. Now I get to wait to see if she is really a she. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. clgraham76

clgraham76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    "She" is beautiful!!! Her coloring looks just like my little mystery chick! I can't wait to see what they all look like once grown! [​IMG]

7. kekstrom

Mar 21, 2016
    Southern Oregon
    Figured I would update my little ladies pics... they are all 2 weeks old now.

Another pic of Goldie, mid-cheep. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lucy (BO)
    [​IMG]

Lacey (SLW)
    [​IMG]

Ethel (BR)
    [​IMG]

Rose (EE)
    [​IMG]

They are all starting to look a little more scraggly... but I know its only the beginning of that phase. Their little tail feathers are the most current to start to grow these past few days. And we now have to keep the top on the brooder, or else we will soon have little chickies running around our floor. They are rather good at cleaning up in hard to reach places though. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Jess72180

Jess72180 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Ulster Park, NY
    They are all so cute! We were hoping to get more of a variety but the woman we bought them from only had two kinds left. They are a mystery but some think they are Barred Rock. We'll see.

9. kekstrom

Mar 21, 2016
    Southern Oregon
    Chicks are super fun... especially mystery chicks! Do you have any pics?

10. kekstrom

Mar 21, 2016
    Southern Oregon
    Well shoot ya'll. Now I am second guessing her again, and thinking maybe she could be a Partridge Cochin Bantam.... haha. [​IMG] Little booger.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by