First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Chicks hatched by hens are out from day one. Never heard of the 12-16 weeks thing...since it's no longer freezing, mine go out to the grow-out coop at roughly 3 weeks or whenever they've grown their feather "jacket". I moved them in with the free-ranging group as soon as they were big enough not to be able to pop through the chainlink fence--they more "yard-range" than free-range. I'm in the middle of changing things a bit though. The massacre survivors are currently stuffed in the coop "basement" which is only 2 foot tall and dark. Almost finished a coop run today for the grow-out coop (which will then revert back to its original purpose of garden patrol coop). Then I can let the survivors have access to the run. About halfway finished with the *new* grow-out coop since the garden patrol (cochins, silkies, polish) are getting tired of having babies underfoot.

So, all that to say...there is no one right way to raise chickens. And there is no huge reason to keep them cooped up until they're just about ready to lay eggs.

You are doing nothing wrong.

Is it true that chicks shouldn't be out let out and about until 12-16 weeks ?

Someone on the fan page I have for the chickens told me I shouldn't let them out of the coop so young.

I don't really agree with that. We have a completely fenced in yard and we supervise them loosely while they are out and they get about 4 hours tops throughout the day of outdoor time, and they are already really well trained to go back to their coop when I need to herd them or around 6ish when they are settling in.

It kind of irked me that this person presumed to know more but I also want to know where she's coming from and if I should be aware of something I'm doing wrong with my chickens. Insights?

The only reason I could think of would be their size would make them an easy target, but I have never heard of that before.

Last edited:
The only reason I could think of would be their size would make them an easy target, but I have never heard of that before.
Yea, one of the reasons we moderately monitor them is for their size. Also because Some of the fencing has unnoticeable gaps and as they get bigger they won't be able to fit through them, but for now a few of them still do so we have plugged up the ones we are aware of with various objects.

Mine live outside in the run a day or so after they arrive or dry off from the incubator and are outside playing at in a week. We are in Northern Wyoming and I brood outdoors with a heating pad cave even with temps in the teens and twenties.

Well my predator struck again last night, but with much less success. It tried the layer's pen and one of the ladies ended up with a puctured eye and ear drum, but I think she must have caused enough of a commotion for the guineas to freak out and scare the predator off because there was a snowstorm of guinea feathers in the pen, but they weren't hurt at all.

So, I put the finishing touches on the run I was building for the survivors of the massacre and let them out of the coop "basement", then ran to the store to get a few things for the layer's pen. Was working on it until about 11pm with an LED spotlight putting a new "roof" on the thing using 12' 2x4s, welded wire fencing (2x4"), and screws/washers to hold everything together. I ran out of washers before I was done, but hopefully it is done enough to last this one night...I'll get more in the morning.

The good news is that Xena, Warrior Pullet will be well enough to rejoin the flock tomorrow. Her wound has a nice scab and she's back to eating full feed. Hopefully the new patient (a New Hampshire Red) will heal as well and as fast.

Well my predator struck again last night, but with much less success. It tried the layer's pen and one of the ladies ended up with a puctured eye and ear drum, but I think she must have caused enough of a commotion for the guineas to freak out and scare the predator off because there was a snowstorm of guinea feathers in the pen, but they weren't hurt at all.

So, I put the finishing touches on the run I was building for the survivors of the massacre and let them out of the coop "basement", then ran to the store to get a few things for the layer's pen. Was working on it until about 11pm with an LED spotlight putting a new "roof" on the thing using 12' 2x4s, welded wire fencing (2x4"), and screws/washers to hold everything together. I ran out of washers before I was done, but hopefully it is done enough to last this one night...I'll get more in the morning.

The good news is that Xena, Warrior Pullet will be well enough to rejoin the flock tomorrow. Her wound has a nice scab and she's back to eating full feed. Hopefully the new patient (a New Hampshire Red) will heal as well and as fast.
so glad to hear she is doing well

Omg, I would be doing the same as you working into the wee hours
Any ideas on what the predator is??

I'm thinking a raccoon family. The only parts left of 40+ birds were two halves and a few scattered body parts, so they had to be able to eat/carry off a significant amount...but getting into the pens required more manipulation than I think a fox could have pulled off. I really wish I had a nighttime trail cam so I would know for sure, but I figure if I make the modifications smart enough food for a raccoon, strong enough for a dog, and try my best against weasels I should have the rest covered.

Fortifications are complete, now to resume working on the grow out coop...

Back
Top Bottom