First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

You know what's funny is I've been seeing random explosions of one color feather around the yard. Like a pillow fight as you said.... but I was always worried a chicken got caught by a predator and went missing so I'd do a count, find them all and go "huh." Never thinking the pile of feathers could be a moulting incident lol.

I didn't know they moult as pullets too. It seems they just got their feathers lol!

At least everybody seems to be doing it at once. I caught up one of my girls to make sure...yep, new feathers coming in everywhere. Picked up some "Feather Fixer" feed at the store instead of layer. It was only a few dollars more per bag and I've heard good things. Will likely make sure snacks are protein-based instead of scratch for a bit. Want them to all grow lovely winter coats!

Well, we've had three solid days of laying so far. WOW! I think that it's all Black Betty. I got some pictures of her nesting in the coop (NOT IN THE NEST BOX!!!) She let me pet her a bit while she sat there. It was sweet. Then we checked the coop tonight and there was an egg in there. So, we got one Monday, Yesterday and Today. I think the Monday one could have been from sunday too, but I'm not sure.

The egg we found today looks different from the first and second. I still suspect the BR but one of the Silver Laced (Lucy) look like she's about to start too. :) However, BR and Silver Laced eggs look similar so I don't know if it could be from her or still Black Betty.

What do you think?
The darker specked one is the new one and the more plain one with lighter specks is definitely from Black Betty. (the third one is likely to be too lol)

Here's a picture of Black Betty looking cute all nested up. (on the floor! grr. Get in the nest!!)

Those could easily be from the same bird. Speckling can vary a lot in one hen from what I've seen.
Well, we've had three solid days of laying so far. WOW! I think that it's all Black Betty. I got some pictures of her nesting in the coop (NOT IN THE NEST BOX!!!) She let me pet her a bit while she sat there. It was sweet. Then we checked the coop tonight and there was an egg in there. So, we got one Monday, Yesterday and Today. I think the Monday one could have been from sunday too, but I'm not sure. The egg we found today looks different from the first and second. I still suspect the BR but one of the Silver Laced (Lucy) look like she's about to start too. :) However, BR and Silver Laced eggs look similar so I don't know if it could be from her or still Black Betty. What do you think? The darker specked one is the new one and the more plain one with lighter specks is definitely from Black Betty. (the third one is likely to be too lol) Here's a picture of Black Betty looking cute all nested up. (on the floor! grr. Get in the nest!!)

I think one of my young BO hens may be trying to go broody. She's still laying though. She comes out of the coop in the morning all puffed up and clucking her head off, and acting cranky. She seems to settle back to normal after she's been out and about for a while. She's about 6 months old and started laying maybe 6-8 weeks ago. The weather is much cooler in the mornings too, as we head into fall. Hopefully she's just not a morning person! I haven't been around a broody hen in many years, but the puffed up feathers and clucking triggered a memory. She's not sitting on a nest yet either.

Last edited:
We have our second layer. Definitely not who I suspected. I definitely thought our other BR would be laying or one of our Wyandottes.... but nope, no doubt that one of the Easter Eggers is our second to lay.

Here's her first pretty egg.

Very pretty! I was getting a blue egg, but not now as the mini-molt has dropped egg production drastically. Have seen some signs of recovery though. Apparently they'll get those white calcium streaks/spots back when they resume laying and I've had two eggs with them now.

Gearing up to start listing some birds on craigslist. Went crazy with chicken math this summer--I figured I would try out a lot of different breeds so I could work out which ones I want to stick with. Now it's time to sell off the ones that are just meh to me plus some extra rare-breed cockerels.

I do have chicks in the brooder currently (blue isbars that came last week plus some Polish I got yesterday at the farm store to replace the ones I lost in the Great Chicken Massacre of '16) and some on the way. Especially excited about the Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons that should be here tomorrow. I have two pullets and two cockerel currently and just love them. Getting some non-related chicks so I have a decent enough gene pool to grow the flock next summer.

My chickens have finally started laying, Yea! I am going switch them to layer feed. Is it OK for my rooster to eat that? I can't really feed them separately. Thanks

My chickens have finally started laying, Yea! I am going switch them to layer feed. Is it OK for my rooster to eat that? I can't really feed them separately. Thanks

Layer has too much calcium for a rooster long-term. Unless you plan on eating him fairly soon, best option is an "all flock" food while providing supplemental calcium to the ladies (usually people offer oyster shell or calcitic limestone grit).

My rooster who is about 6 mos has started attacking me. Hens have started laying, may be contributing. Question is if I just ignore him will he outgrow the behaviour or does he need to go?

Back
Top Bottom