first time chicken farming

Hi Jared!
I've had all the breeds you stated, here in cold upstate NY, don't be afraid of the cold, WELL VENTILATED coop takes care of most frostbite issues, and unless you have roosters not much frostbite to worry about anyway, none of my hens ever got it even the Leghorns were not affected. With roosters making sure they can't dip their wattles into their water in cold weather, not any of mine but I've seen horrible pics of others from this, much worse than comb frostbite.
RIRs while I admit tend to be a little on the ornery side, it's not a given, many can be quite pleasant.
People don't care for the 'flightyness' of the Leghorns, if you don't mind that they'll not want you to touch them, go nuts at times trying to get away when you feed them, not really a big deal and a plus in a free range environment, they're the first one's to skeddadle in any signs of danger. And if your looking for a colorful eggbasket the white eggs really make the dark brown green and blue much nicer together. I loved my Leghorns. Had Polish here also, white eggs.
This winter I have a bunch of Naked Necks, they've weathered our subzero temps just fine and are laying well. Bare necked, bare chested, hens have had no frostbite, roosters with their big combs only a touch of it on the tips, will likely heal up and be 100% by spring.

Don't get me wrong, rose comb and pea combed birds are much better in the cold. I've just have had very good luck even in subzero for months -20-30 windchill with straight combs and never any issues with the hens, they have smaller combs. Even the Leghorns which yeah the hens have bigger combs than other breeds, still no frostbite. Only some on roosters and just minor.

Hi Everyone!

Such good advice! I actually just got off the phone, the egg layers I found down in Nampa fell through and I cant get them anymore, so I will still be raising them from chicks. I will have pictures of the coop in about 3 days. Then I will figure out if it needs any additions or fixing to raise chicks in it. Any help on that in three days will be appreciated.

I wont be on that much because tomorrow we are packing the truck and Wednesday we are cleaning carpets, and Thursday we are doing a long 10 hour drive. I will have the pictures or a video of the coop on Thursday or Friday.

Thanks!

Jared

You may be glad you began with chicks later on, or maybe not. If you purchase chicks from a reputable hatchery or breeder, you will not be purchasing mites or lice, or problem chickens like egg eaters or aggressive chickens, or possibly contagions or health problems from poor care previously. You will also have a chance to get to know your chicks and tame them when it is easiest - when they are very young. But, I have to admit that I'm a fool for babies of all kinds. They are an awful lot of fun and the adorableness factor is something I enjoy.

I would venture to guess that if a 1-2 year old hen is on Craigslist or for sale cheap there is a reason.

I've sold a couple of problem hens on Craigslist but I've been very upfront about why I'm parting with them. They've gone to good homes with more space than I could offer with their new owners fully aware of the reason I'm not keeping them. Not everybody probably offers full disclosure. Not to say that there aren't started pullets for sale out there that wouldn't be perfectly lovely, it is just a bigger risk of not knowing what you're getting IMHO.

I'd encourage you to raise them from chicks. It's a good experience, it will teach you a lot, and you'll "know" your chickens better when they grow up.

I would venture to guess that if a 1-2 year old hen is on Craigslist or for sale cheap there is a reason.

I've sold a couple of problem hens on Craigslist but I've been very upfront about why I'm parting with them. They've gone to good homes with more space than I could offer with their new owners fully aware of the reason I'm not keeping them. Not everybody probably offers full disclosure. Not to say that there aren't started pullets for sale out there that wouldn't be perfectly lovely, it is just a bigger risk of not knowing what you're getting IMHO.

I'd encourage you to raise them from chicks. It's a good experience, it will teach you a lot, and you'll "know" your chickens better when they grow up.

x2!

I had SO much fun raising from chicks! And I wanted to tell you, from Montana, that my Wyandottes are a breed I would have over and over. They are beautiful, friendly, and very winter hardy. MY coop is uninsulated, unheated and they do have a waterer that has a heater in it. They are making it through winter just great.

Cleaning that new to you coop is super important...you don't want your new babies to get any left over diseases...and there may be a few. You are fortunate to have a nice big coop and run, and to go straight to the hatchery to get chicks...I have thought of going to Dunlap myself but it is way too far! Look up the Wyandottes...there are lots of colors and they are sweeties! Looks like Dunlap has the silver and the blue-laced...I got mine from Murdoch's, a farm supply store, so check the farm stores in Nampa too, to make sure you have a good set of choices! Right about now is the time chicks appear in the farm stores. The Partridge Rocks are also great winter-hardy birds, sweet and the Barred Rocks are the same, just different color.

Good luck with your move!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I made it safely to Nampa and I got to look at the new coop. About 6 by 12 feet. Maybe 15 by 25 feet fenced area. This is an estimate. The coop has a tile floor, and a window that is currently broken. A large nesting box that needs repairs. A roosting area also. While I am raising chicks in a brooder, what do I need to do to prepare the coop for when they are grown?

Jared

Did they leave any equipment, like a feeder, or a waterer? Storage for food? Is electric run to the coop? Of course pictures would help! Glad you made it to Nampa!

Making sure the coop is secure from predators, along with suggestions made by others above, is very important. Ask the folks at the hatchery or even better, your local Fish Wildlife and Parks office about which predators you have there to protect against! Simple phone call...

Last edited:
Hi there!

The only thing they left is a heat lamp light bulb. The coop is completely empty. I don't think it has electricity or heating, but I can check.

How do I post pictures here? I have been trying to figure that out.

Jared

I put my pictures on my computer and open a reply box in the forum thread. At the top menu where all the edit functions are, I click the little mountain picture (insert images) and it lets me search my computer to add the pictures...pretty easy when you get the hang of it...hope that helps...

Back
Top Bottom