First time chicken mom

Chel-c

Hatching
May 30, 2017
Hello everyone! I am a soon-to-be Serama chick mom, I will be picking them up on June 3rd (this saturday). My fiancé finally gave in and agreed to a few pet chickens. They will be 4-8 weeks old, I'm getting 3 or 4 on the advice of a friend, I was going to get just one but was told not to.

Anyway, I'm excited to add chickens to my family. Currently my pets include 2 dogs (boxer and pomeranian), 1 bearded dragon, 1 tegu, 1 reticulated python, 1 pixie frog, 1 cockatiel, 4 parakeets, and 1 Virginia opossum. My avian and exotic vet treats chickens so they will be seen by him, and they will have fresh greens/fruits/veggies and bugs everyday (along with commercial chicken food). lol everyone is very spoiled.

I have relied heavily on the info found on this forum to get me ready for life with chickens. I'm excited to become a crazy chicken lady lol

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us and congrats on your chicks. This link may be helpful -
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/hatching-eggs-raising-chickens.22/

Any questions that you may have regarding your chicks will be best posted here - http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

I'd suggest holding off on anything but proprietary chick feed for the moment. This link should explain why -
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/891051/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry

Best wishes
CT

My friend has 2 matronly serama hens. Seramas are BIG chickens in small packages.
Since they arrived, they have taken over the dogs bed(when they pretend to go broody.
They steal toys out of his mouth, and help him eat HIS dog food.

They are house chickens and when my friend leaves home, they sleep by the door and wait for her. When she returns, she has to be careful not to step on them when she opens the door. They are there, still waiting., just like dogs.

My friend has 2 matronly serama hens. Seramas are BIG chickens in small packages.
Since they arrived, they have taken over the dogs bed(when they pretend to go broody.
They steal toys out of his mouth, and help him eat HIS dog food.

They are house chickens and when my friend leaves home, they sleep by the door and wait for her. When she returns, she has to be careful not to step on them when she opens the door. They are there, still waiting., just like dogs.
Aw! They sound like amazing house pets. Mine will be living in my house and have free run during the day and will sleep in the bird room with the parrots, which I'm hoping I won't have to vacuum up as much bird food anymore if they are in there lol my neighbor had a sweet little rooster and I fell in love with their tiny size and big personalities. My fiancé agreed to seramas because I tried bringing home a macaw last weekend

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

I bet Saturday couldn't come fast enough!! LOL Chickens are quite fun to keep, they all have personality and smarts. Give yours time to adjust to their new home, it will take several weeks for them to calm down. You might sit quietly daily with them, on their level, the floor or ground. Bring some goodies with you and let them get used to you. Let them know you are a positive thing in their lives and they can trust you. They will be leary of everything for quite some time. I also suggest you keep them locked in the coop and run for a few days before letting them out. Let them know the coop is a very safe place to be and sleep. If you don't do this, they won't learn to return to the coop each night. Once they have slept in there and spent a lot of time in there, they will feel it is home. For the first few days, they will probably want to coware somewhere and they coop should be the place.

Good luck with your new birds and welcome to our roost! :)

Back
Top Bottom