First time chicken Momma

Welcome to BYC! I'm not entirely sure if there is a set on how close it has to be, but someone else might know. I just know it needs to be far enough away that it doesn't fry your chickens nor does it freeze them, you can tell whether or not your chicks are hot or cold by the way they are in the brooder, chicks huddled together means it's cold and chicks that are too hot will try to be as far away from the lamp as possible, The best thing you could do is watch for those signs

Anyways enjoy your stay and I hope you enjoy your new chicks.

Welcome to BYC! I'm not entirely sure if there is a set on how close it has to be, but someone else might know. I just know it needs to be far enough away that it doesn't fry your chickens nor does it freeze them, you can tell whether or not your chicks are hot or cold by the way they are in the brooder, chicks huddled together means it's cold and chicks that are too hot will try to be as far away from the lamp as possible, The best thing you could do is watch for those signs 

Anyways enjoy your stay and I hope you enjoy your new chicks.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock"

A heat lamp should be close enough to provide a temperature of around 90 degrees for a chick's first week of life. After that, the heat should decrease approximately 5 degrees each week. You can usually change the temperature at chick level by raising the heat lamp or lowering it. Watch the chicks and see if they are comfortable. If they cluster tightly beneath the heat lamp, lower it, because they are too cold. If they spread out away from the heat lamp and pant, they are too hot, and you should lower the lamp.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations! It's always so exciting getting those first chicks. :eek:) Wyandottes7 has given you some good advice on the heat lamp. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

frow.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
frow.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

frow.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom