First time chicken owner! Any recommendations for an EASY to build coop?

swiemann

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 20, 2014
Hi all! :)

I've been looking at all the beautiful coops posted on this site and I am so impressed! I was going to buy a coop but I think I am motivated to try and build one! I am handy and have power tools but I would be much more comfortable with something that is quite simple and literally shows me how to frame out each side, what materials to buy, etc. Do you know of any coops listed on this site that have that kind of details/directions? Most I have clicked through just show photos of the process.

A few details:

We brought home our 6 chicks yesterday. We live in Florida, so it does get quite warm (I think ventilation and air flow would be really important)! I plan on having them freely roam our backyard during the day but would like something with a run attached so they're not always confined to the coop if we're not home and can't let them outside.

I would love any suggestions and advice! Thank you so much. :)

Shannon

Hi Shannon,

I haven't seen any that are step-by-step on this forum. Most everyone seems to do some minor modification from one design or another. I'd recommend searching the web for "purina mills hen house design". Their design is not a step-by-step, but they do give you an exact cut list and pictures from multiple angles. It'll be a little tight for 6 chickens, but this is the closest that I've personally found.

Welcome to BYC.....There are some on here with dimensions on them I will have to look and see if I can find them........All the ones ive seen for sale seem to me to be a little high priced for no bigger than what they usually are.....You can usually build one alot bigger for the same amount of money......Ventalation is good especially with the heat where you are and the run could be attached to the coop and wouldnt have to be real big if you are going to let them free range when your home.

Thanks so much! This plan looks like something I may be able to tackle! Is it adequate space for 6 chickens? When I bought them at the store they were labeled Red Pullets, so I am not exactly sure their breed or how big they will get. The Purina Mills looks like it's 4x4 so 16 sq/ft, that's just under 3 sq/ft per chicken... sounds about right I think! I think I would just need to add some kind of vents at the top.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom