First time chicken owner brooder advice.

Oct 12, 2020
So, I’m planning on getting my first batch of chicks ever this week, and just finished setting up my brooder. Was just curious if anyone has any thoughts or advice as to my setup before the chicks arrive? Thanks!

Attachments

• 78CBE7DC-C8A0-4200-8F9E-9BACCBCC8A44.jpeg
    78CBE7DC-C8A0-4200-8F9E-9BACCBCC8A44.jpeg
    752.6 KB · Views: 21
So, I’m planning on getting my first batch of chicks ever this week, and just finished setting up my brooder. Was just curious if anyone has any thoughts or advice as to my setup before the chicks arrive? Thanks!
They might be able to stick their heads thru those slats. I would tie some cheap plastic garden fencing or chicken wire or whatever you’ve got on hand to
help block the gaps & keep them from getting stuck.

Do you have a thermometer in there?

Will you be getting a heat lamp?

My favorite thing to do with baby chicks is hang a clean, old fashioned feather duster from the ceiling of their brooder. They love to snuggle & hide & play in those.

Good luck! Let us know what you got & how it’s going.

They might be able to stick their heads thru those slats. I would tie some cheap plastic garden fencing or chicken wire or whatever you’ve got on hand to
help block the gaps & keep them from getting stuck.

Do you have a thermometer in there?

Will you be getting a heat lamp?

My favorite thing to do with baby chicks is hang a clean, old fashioned feather duster from the ceiling of their brooder. They love to snuggle & hide & play in those.

Good luck! Let us know what you got & how it’s going.
I do have that cardboard up, and I’m going to zip tie that to the bars to hold it in place. I do have a heat lamp, but I’m not a fan of those because of the fire risk. I do have the brooder plate, and they are indoors so it’s about 75 degrees anyway. That’s a cool idea about the feather duster, I’ll try and find one.

The only problem I can foresee happening, is that the cardboard might get soiled over time, and then it will be a total pain to replace when they're trying to flipflap everywhere 😂. They could also lodge themselves between the cardboard and the cage if you are not vigilant. Chicks are fine and dandy for about a week, then WATCH OUT. They are rambunctious terrors if you're not adequately prepared for ⭐ everything ⭐ haha.

I do have that cardboard up, and I’m going to zip tie that to the bars to hold it in place. I do have a heat lamp, but I’m not a fan of those because of the fire risk. I do have the brooder plate, and they are indoors so it’s about 75 degrees anyway. That’s a cool idea about the feather duster, I’ll try and find one.

Definitely zip tie the cardboard in place, to minimize any gaps between cardboard and wire, and I'd skip the feather duster. Chicks have gotten tangled and killed in them before, and it doesn't really add anything (as they have the heat plate) unless you're dealing with a single chick with loneliness issues.

Many feather dusters have very long feathers (like tail feathers) and the chicks can get caught or twisted up in them. If you must use a feather duster it's best to trim some length off the duster to shorten the length of the feathers (plus the quills are thicker and less likely to twist around closer to the base).

Chicks have even gotten caught under very fluffy broodies and killed, same sort of thing.

Many feather dusters have very long feathers (like tail feathers) and the chicks can get caught or twisted up in them. If you must use a feather duster it's best to trim some length off the duster to shorten the length of the feathers (plus the quills are thicker and less likely to twist around closer to the base).

Chicks have even gotten caught under very fluffy broodies and killed, same sort of thing.
This has never been my experience. The feather dusters have been a great addition to our brooders.

Back
Top Bottom