First time chicken owner can't get hens into coop!

I have had the same issue with my 6 week old BOs. I had them out in the run all day Friday, Sat & Sun to play with the new Plymouth Rock Bantams (about 14 weeks), but at night when the Rocks went in the BOs stayed outside (so I brought the BOs back in the house to their brooder box).

One of these nights, I suppose I will just pick them up and toss them in.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I too agree. We left the girls heat light (reptile light) on at night for the first few days and they seemed very comforted by that. Have you tried putting their favorite treat in the coop only at night. You know make a big production of this particular treat as you go to their coop and let them see you put it in. It was sooooooooooo
lau.gif
easy to trick our girls.. Good Luck!
frow.gif
They are now 9 wks old and we crack up laughing every night as they go through "their" routine before going into their coop for the night. It's actually quite interesting in addition to being the best show on TV at 8:03 p.m.
celebrate.gif
love.gif

My roosters round up the ladies at dusk and ushers them inside. I still have to have a light on or they won't all get on the roost. I think it's because they can't see that well in the dark and like kids they procrastonate getting in the bed at night. LOL

Thanks for all the advice! The girls went in on their own around lunch time so I locked them there. At least I know they will stay protected and dry today. I'll let them out again tomorrow and try the light trick. I feel better knowing that it takes a few days for them to figure it out. Thanks!

I'll tell you what some wonderful people here on BYC told me.

I was told to put my chickens inside the coop and keep them there for a week to two weeks so they associate that as home. Then let them out.

We did that and the first two nights they refused to go inside the coop at night. The first night we went and wrangled them up and put them inside. The second night was a downpour and thunder/lightening.

After 15 minutes, I gave up. The next morning, I found them safe & sound inside their coop. They go in every night now just before dark.

Good luck!

Laurie

After a week of catching chickens and putting them in the coop, six of the eight have finally caught on. The other two just dont have a clue. I figure they are just slow learners. We will try again tonight. LOL
ep.gif

I purchased a solar powered light from Home Depot for under $20 and it worked out great the past 2 years. The solar panel is about the size of an adult hand and mounted on the exterior off the coop and the light is about 12" long and mounted in the coop - it gives off enough light for egg gathering and helps everyone find their home each night.

Mine spent their first night outside a few days ago.

The coop is a dog house from a kit that includes a porch with railings. I have it in a predator proof run. http://www.doghouses.com/dog-houses/wood-dog-houses/barndoghouse2.cfm

The
house portion is somewhat small for 7 chickens so I'm going to do a remodel and add nesting boxes onto the side instead of having them in the house. I've put a perch in the house, probably need to add another. I plan to use the deep litter system so will put in a piece of wood to close off the bottom 6 inches of the doorway.

The chickens won't sleep in the coop; they prefer the porch railings. Unfortunately, this means poop all over the porch.

Do I need a door on the coop? Must they live in it? I'm in the SF Bay Area.

Back
Top Bottom